oil filter housing leaks

Jollopy jr.

hey guys I've been using this forum regularly for many situations and I thank you all for all the info here.

I rebuilt my 251 for my 49 chrysler Windsor and started it up for the first time yesterday and everything's all good except the oil filter housing seem to be building pressure and leaking everywhere out the seams.  I pulled the relief valve and it came out no problem spring seems to be in good condition.  I am thinking that there might be a restriction in the return line internal in the housing.

Does the oil drain out of the housing when engine is off?

I have a gasket between the cap and clamp is tight.  I've got a wix filter that seems 1/4in too long but I manage to still get the cap on.

I thought it would be a failed relief but it moves freely.

Oil pump is brand new.

any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

15333447164794776756504142273887.jpg

The filter housing was original to the engine. I haven't checked the guage since it was leaking really bad that the engine only ran for 10 seconds I will try tomorrow and see what the gauge reads.  the seal I used cam with the filter.  I took my time on the clamp to make sure it's around both flanges it seem solid and secure.

You installed the proper sized rubber O-Ring that seals the OF top cap ..right?

one thing worth mentioning is the bolt on the clamp.  I would tighten the clamp down but the original bolt would bottom out and cap was not secure.  I replaced it with a full threaded bolt.  

for the seal i didn't pay much attention to what one i used i just fitted it with one that fit.  

You need to use the correct fitting O-Ring or it will leak. I've seen and had it happen.

IMG_3856.JPG

IMG_3858.JPG

IMG_3859.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I went to the local parts store here and no one stocks the frame filter they cross it over to Wix number but I don't think Wix provides that o-ring. Checked it out on Ebay and there's no o-ring in the pictures. 

Looks like another online purchase.