Taking the frame by the horn

BobT-47P15

Am taking the car to a body shop where they will put it on their frame straightening machine.....to try and improve the right frame horn, which was damaged in an accident years ago (before I found the car). The anti-sway bar bracket was bent also.....it attaches to the horn. The bar almost touches the crossmember. But it hasn't been a big deal as I've driven the car over the past 30 some years. Bought this NOS sway bar a couple years ago....been saving it til I could get around to this task.

100_3441.jpg

Here's how the bracket has been the last umpteen years.

100_3442.jpg

Will be interesting to see if there is any noticeable difference in handling.

I got one looks very similar. Mine was self inflicted. I bent the crap out if pulling the car out of the barn it was in with a logging chain. Some whacking with a BFH got it a bit straighter. I don't think the bar mount will have much of an effect on handling. Pulling the frame straight might, but if you did not have any unusual tire wear it probably wasn't a factor in handling either.

:) One side benefit of them straightening that frame horn....it helped the front bumper....made it a little straighter across. Kind of raised up the left end that was pointing a bit downward. Don't know that it will make much difference in the actual driving, but can't hurt. And it didn't really take them very long to accomplish. Took the car in at 10 and it was done by 4. The thing that will help most with the play in steering is the steering gearbox, which the son-in-law is working on.

Also asked the body shop for an estimate to fix the dings in the right front fender. If I take it off and deliver it to them, and even buy a gallon of my paint to take them, they said they can use hammer and dolly instead of filler. Cost would run around $200. Now, need to go by the paint store and talk to them.

Well, greg, actually the fender would not take a gallon. But, looking ahead, might want to have some other work done and that paint might just come in handy. It will keep for a while. They probably would not have much use for the remainder of a gallon of 1965 Ford yellow. So they would let me bring it and use what of it they need. They would supply the hardener and reducer.

Have not priced auto paint lately.....probably will be unpleasantly surprised. I think the last gallon a few years ago was around $125.

The straightened horn and new sway bar.

100_3447.jpg