50 Dodge Coronet fuel pump

ddesjard

Hi, All:

Would anyone have a photo of a 50 Coronet that shows an original fuel pump? Or, to put it another way--the same kind of fuel pump that came with the car when sold as new?

I'd like to see both what the pump looks like and where it goes.  What's on my car now doesn't look anything like the year- and model-appropriate replacement pumps being sold for my car from trusted suppliers. 

Anyway, I want to get back to the original set-up.  I've got a 4-door sedan, D-34. 230 flathead 6, with Fluid Drive trans. Thanks and best wishes.

This is just a guess. but I think the pump should look something like this. Note the stud that screws into the base for the heat shield. The fuel pump on my P18 looked like this one, but with a metal cover on the bottom that did away with the sediment bowl. I think it was correct for the '49. I rebuilt this one because I like the visible bowl and screen arrangement that can be cleaned. I bought a Dodge engine years ago that had a combination fuel pump/vacuum pump. It also had the off-set stud and heat shield. I have a Carter fuel pump with the stud in the center, and there are a number of heat shield variations. The 2nd picture is a heat shield mounted to an earlier fuel pump.  Someone here can tell you for sure.

DSC07733.jpg

DSC01542.jpg

• Like 1

rekbender: Thanks so much for sharing.  This is helpful, and pretty much what I had imagined it'd look like.  That's a pretty 49 convertible you've got.

Edited by ddesjard

the top FP would be an AC588 fuel pump that was used from at least 1939. Notice this is not a dual action pump. the dual action pump would have a line opening to supply vacuum to your vacuum wiper motor if the vacuum did not come of the vacuum advance line.

I have the same first pump on my 1939 Desoto so that is why i state at least 1939 and up.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com