Hello, I am new here

RickB

Hey there.  Just picked up a 1940 2 door Plymouth and just trying to learn all I can about the car.  I might bother a few of you with a question or two and hopefully I can contribute as well. 

A little bit about me:

I live in Green Bay WI and have loved old cars all my life.  I have had a 52 ford F100, 36 chevy truck, 38 ford truck and 41 chevy business coupe all at one time or another.  Since my kids are getting older priorities have changed and thought it was time to get something new to work on.

40 plymouth 2.0.jpg

40_plymouth.jpg

Edited by RickB
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

let me try....

burgundy 40 plymouth.jpg

Nice looking car,and the two door sedans are pretty rare.

Thanks, You are just down the road a bit.

Its got a SBC 350 in it with a TH350 trans.  From what I can tell it was a nice hot rod back in the 80's/90's maybe.  Got a lot of pin stripping on the paint and the interior was redone at some point then it looks like it was let out in the hot sun for a bunch of years.  LOL

Edited by RickB

Cool car.  For images make a slight edit prior to uploading.  Problem solved. 

Rick........welcome aboard from Sunny South Grafton Australia..............I like the Plymouth..........especially since its got a few features that our Oz 40 Dodges used.......fenders, bumpers, hood, headlight surrounds etc.......or maybe its the other way around...........lol.............mines got a 318 Poly & iron T/flite, etc so I can understand the SBC...........again welcome aboard...........Andy Douglas 

P1000709 (800x600).jpg

3 minutes ago, Silverdome said:

Welcome. That's a nice looking car. What's the plans for it?

Drive it as it is.  I am putting a new starter in it this week and need to get a fuel gauge hooked up and  we will see what else I do to it from there.  It runs great and I kinda like the Pitina the way it is.

18 minutes ago, RickB said:

Drive it as it is.  I am putting a new starter in it this week and need to get a fuel gauge hooked up and  we will see what else I do to it from there.  It runs great and I kinda like the Pitina the way it is.

Sounds like a fine plan, enjoy.

On 8/3/2018 at 6:45 PM, 40plyrod said:

Nice car! I'm pretty partial to the 40 sedans myself. Were any modifications made to the suspension?

IMG_20160514_111303628.jpg

Nice looking car.  No mods to the suspension that I can see.  It's got a 10 bolt GM rear end in it.  The front suspension looks to be all stock and it has a little play in the wheel. More than I would like actually.  Any suggestions on a rebuild kit for the front end?

31 minutes ago, Silverdome said:

The play could just be in your steering box, which is adjustable, but be sure to check all the components in the front end.

It looks like it could be the steering box.  All the tie rod ends look good but when I move the front wheels left to right I can see a bit of play in the steering box.   How can I adjust this?  I will check on here for previous threads on the subject.  Thanks

29 minutes ago, RickB said:

It looks like it could be the steering box.  All the tie rod ends look good but when I move the front wheels left to right I can see a bit of play in the steering box.   How can I adjust this?  I will check on here for previous threads on the subject.  Thanks

Here's a link 

I followed Grey Beards advice and found it to be spot on.