Front bench dismanteling/ backrest

Thomba48

Hi just wondering if anyone has ever taken apart the front bench completely. I do not mean the seating cushion itself, but the backrest. I looked at it and can not work out how - without enforcing ridiculous force - I can take apart the backrest cushion element from the fixed and firm backrest itself. Any idea anyone? thanks

I removed the back cushions from my seats some time ago.  The DeSoto Suburban has coupe-style seats, with folding backs, but the fixed baacks should be similar.  Each cushion is held  in place with two bolts at the bottom, so it must slide into a restraint at the top.  Photos: 

899777402_seatbacksanddoor2007(2).jpg.4bf8f894f91dced63c39ba645a87cf0d.jpg102975835_seatbacksanddoor2007(3).thumb.jpg.363b525398531ae3c5e7859cdb47f02d.jpg

• Thanks 1

Typically two bolts at the bottom of the backrest are threaded into the body floor pan. Remove bolts and lift the back rest off of the clips which are welded into the body.

if referring to removing the pivoting seat back, there is a bolt on outside of each half that comes out...then push this upper assembly aside from the frame and pull toward the removed bolt...the inner I think,  repeat, I think is pin style...been way too long since I service one of these seats but recall this as being correct.   

Ah, the pivoting seat back. 

The outer pivot is a shouldered bolt.  There is a nut, with lock washer, on the inner face of the frame (visible with the seat cushion removed).  Remove the nut and washer.  The bolt has a large rounded head with a phillips cross-slot. 

The inner pivot is fixed to the seat back and fits into a hole in a projection of the frame between the two seat backs.  

Unscrew the outer pivot bolt, (Save the washer that fits under the enlarged head. ) and the inner pivot will fall out of the center pivot hole as the seatback becomes a handful to handle . 

Reinstalling the seat back is tricky.  The axis of the pivot bolt is not horizontal, but in line with the inner pivot hole . 

Work the projecting pin of the seat back into the center hole, line up the shouldered bolt, and screw it in.  (Did you remember the washer that fits under the enlarged head?)  Put the lock washer and nut on the end of the pivot bolt.     

Edited by DonaldSmith
typo; added italicized phrase
  • Like 1