46 dodge 3 window coupe

Black betty
Go to solution Solved by Dodgeb4ya,

Hello to all

i have a 46 dodge coupe ( black Betty )

have owned her for 20 years

she is all stock with fluid drive and runs well but doesn’t like to go much over 40 mph

But

i would like to venture out to further car shows and cruises 

so

any suggestions to update the drivetrain are welcome

tx

c

11CE72EE-7E9A-4379-BDBF-40A2066B5966.jpeg

Why doesn't it want to go above 40 mph?   Are there engine problems, or does it just sound busy? 

My car has the semi-automatic transmission.  It upshifts somwhere between 20 and 40 mph, depanding on my foot on the gas, and then I expect another upshift, which never comes.  But it will rev up to 60 or even 70 mph. It just sounds busy, but I get used to it. 

• Like 1

To make any old car, not just Mopars; cruise easier and more stress-free at freeway speeds you have the same choices. Cams, headers, intake, compression, transmission, rear gearing. Or you could do a complete drivetrain swap using the engine/trans/differential of your choice. I have a donor vehicle I intend to use for that very purpose on one of my cars. Three times the power and better fuel mileage in one swell foop!!

56 minutes ago, Black betty said:

Hello to all

i have a 46 dodge coupe ( black Betty )

have owned her for 20 years

she is all stock with fluid drive and runs well but doesn’t like to go much over 40 mph

But

i would like to venture out to further car shows and cruises 

so

any suggestions to update the drivetrain are welcome

tx

c

11CE72EE-7E9A-4379-BDBF-40A2066B5966.jpeg

My only suggestion for an all-original car like that would be to either have your engine completely rebuilt,or install a rebuilt replacement engine. A 230 Mopar flat 6 has plenty of power to cruise right along at 60 MPH. That car is just too nice to be swapping in a V-8 engine and modern transmission.

My opinion,and worth every dollar you paid for it.

36 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

My only suggestion for an all-original car like that would be to either have your engine completely rebuilt,or install a rebuilt replacement engine. A 230 Mopar flat 6 has plenty of power to cruise right along at 60 MPH. That car is just too nice to be swapping in a V-8 engine and modern transmission.

My opinion,and worth every dollar you paid for it.

Maybe I should sell her before I mess it up

Also the fluid drive is a bit sticky when starting

i have to have her in 1st gear before starting

once started I can not get into 1st

1 hour ago, DonaldSmith said:

Why doesn't it want to go above 40 mph?   Are there engine problems, or does it just sound busy? 

My car has the semi-automatic transmission.  It upshifts somwhere between 20 and 40 mph, depanding on my foot on the gas, and then I expect another upshift, which never comes.  But it will rev up to 60 or even 70 mph. It just sounds busy, but I get used to it. 

Sounds busy 

not sure what the rpm is , fluid drive is tempermental

need to have it in 1st gear when starting otherwise I can’t get it into 1st when running

3 minutes ago, Black betty said:

Sounds busy 

not sure what the rpm is , fluid drive is tempermental

need to have it in 1st gear when starting otherwise I can’t get it into 1st when running

You may be well ahead of the game to get very familiar with the car by reading your repair manual then evaluate each system for state of repair and serviceability.  Could well be but a simple fix here and a simple fix there but if you do not know how each system works independently, then as a rolling running mass you can easily compile these small problems to a point of being lost...I am of course assuming you have a repair manual

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

excellent, read each section over closely, tip and troubleshooting in each section.  As for your shifting that will be covered also and give a few cause and correct pointers.  These cars are not complicated but do have some quirks if some items are left unserviced.  It is amazing how interesting reading the book really is and how fast you can go through the entire contents.  I so suggest a three time read of any section you wish to address prior to putting your hands/wrenches to action.

A good and thorough service of the drivetrain and engine bay should result in happily achieving 55mph (and in my humble opinion: fast enough) speeds for your beautiful black Betty. What a nice car!

The rear supports are big doughnuts on each side of the bell housing, and support the engine-transmission.  Bad engine mounts could account for shifting problems and other wierd things.

The fluid couplings are suppposed to be bullet-proof and without problems.  A Dodge with fluid drive and three-speed is suposed to be able to start off and drive all day in third gear. Not fast off the line; stately. 

• Like 1

It sounds to me that the clutch may be at fault not the fluid drive. Also for your information you do not need to use first gear every time you start. The fluid drive allows you to start in any gear without using the clutch. I can drive all over town and never use first gear unless I am going from a dead stop up a steep hill. 

I do not know anything about a fluid drive repair kit as you mentioned but fluid drive units are pretty much bullet proof and rarely need servicing. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Black betty said:

Maybe I should sell her before I mess it up

Also the fluid drive is a bit sticky when starting

i have to have her in 1st gear before starting

once started I can not get into 1st

Are you saying it will not go into first gear with the engine running or with the car moving???  First gear is not synchronized. Second and third gear are synchronized. 

Maybe the Clutch is not dis-engaging because of gummy /faulty pilot bushings (2) in Fluid drive coupling or clutch disc is stuck to pressure plate or flywheel.

All this causing the owner not being able to put car into gear once engine is running but able to with it shut off?

I agree with Don and DodgeB4ya.  It sounds like a clutch problem.  The easiest thing to check is the the free play at the clutch pedal.  You should be able to push the pedal abo ut an inch before it meets any resistance.  If the pedal is tight right from the top you may be able to adjust the clutch under the car where the linkage attaches to the throw out fork at the side of the bell housing.  

You said that you have had this car 20 years, did it run well in the past, or has it had this problem as long as you have owned it?  

Just out of curiosity, when was this car tuned up last, new spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, points and condenser, timing set to specifications? Busycoupe asks an important question:

You said that you have had this car 20 years, did it run well in the past, or has it had this problem as long as you have owned it?

Whatever the case, I hope you get it straightened out. It looks like a great car.

John R