Fulton visor? No thanks!

Wiggo

OK, so personally I think a Fulton visor on one of these cars is as cool as. But a decent one on Ebay is around $600, and by the time I get that to the UK, pay shipping, import duty, taxes etc I'm up at around $850-900 and that's before I paint the thing!

However, a 1998 Honda Civic hatchback has a rather useful sheet metal tailgate spoiler...

1998-Honda-Civic.png.fb87e92518675ae1aca0361f97d8a11b.png

So I bought two of them from a scrap yard, removed the plastic parts and the pressed steel liner (only held in with mastic and a couple of spot welds) and cut them to shape. Here's my lad showing that an electrician has no concept of what tools to use to deburr sheet metal after cutting it with a grinder (yes, that's the edge of a chisel):

visor1.jpg.698fb492b41fb715d9226c1fdc447aa2.jpg

On the other hand, he did prove that he can weld very thin sheet metal with my cheap gasless MIG welder...

visor2.jpg.eb515ff100ab4427f506a853d67b1bfc.jpg

Et voila! One homemade $60 visor!

visor5.jpg.92dfcdeb02fc5526def147c7e5a73e4c.jpgvisor4.jpg.d2dd6f131df31eb8ad74a74445f50414.jpgvisor3.jpg.b45cf0124163e99f72b618eb1b8ee63c.jpgvisor6.jpg.1c7e9d4a1fd5daa38bff563ff43fd2b0.jpg

Edited by Wiggo
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, Wiggo said:

OK, so personally I think a Fulton visor on one of these cars is as cool as. But a decent one on Ebay is around $600, and by the time I get that to the UK, pay shipping, import duty, taxes etc I'm up at around $850-900 and that's before I paint the thing!

However, a 1998 Honda Civic hatchback has a rather useful sheet metal tailgate spoiler...

1998-Honda-Civic.png.fb87e92518675ae1aca0361f97d8a11b.png

So I bought two of them from a scrap yard, removed the plastic parts and the pressed steel liner (only held in with mastic and a couple of spot welds) and cut them to shape. Here's my lad showing that an electrician has no concept of what tools to use to deburr sheet metal after cutting it with a grinder (yes, that's the edge of a chisel):

visor1.jpg.698fb492b41fb715d9226c1fdc447aa2.jpg

On the other hand, he did prove that he can weld very thin sheet metal with my cheap gasless MIG welder...

visor2.jpg.eb515ff100ab4427f506a853d67b1bfc.jpg

Et voila! One homemade $60 visor!

visor5.jpg.92dfcdeb02fc5526def147c7e5a73e4c.jpgvisor4.jpg.d2dd6f131df31eb8ad74a74445f50414.jpgvisor3.jpg.b45cf0124163e99f72b618eb1b8ee63c.jpgvisor6.jpg.1c7e9d4a1fd5daa38bff563ff43fd2b0.jpg

That's the kind of thinking that brought us hot rods. If you can't afford to buy it,make something else work/

• Like 1

Hmmm, the seats are from a 1966 Mk II Daimler V8, some foam and a lot of homemade angle iron support framing. The visor is two Honda spoilers and a cupboard stay, the vacuum wipers are augmented with a pair of Audi A3 vacuum reservoirs, a one way valve and some aquarium tubing...

Edited by Wiggo
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Greg51T&CWagon said:

I love this sort of ingenuity! I suppose next you'll be telling us about how your glovebox is a microwave? ?

4 minutes ago, Hickory said:

I don't know about harmfull microwaves but I'd like to see a kurege coffee maker

Hmm, well the glovebox was a misshapen piece of cardboard held together with alumin(i)um strip and pop rivets, so that got junked, but I'm afraid I don't drink coffee. I think I could modify a sandwich toaster to fit, though...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Very well done. 90% of people would never know the difference

Ah, so when I bought the car it had a couple of rusty mirrors, one with a bent arm. One was mounted low down, the other to the top of the door. Looked real odd, so I bought a nice new pair of 4" peep mirrors.

Once I fitted them, I realised that while the driver's side was fine, it didn't matter where I put the other one, I couldn't see a damn thing in it. So the rusty one with the long, bent arm went back on, which left me with some spare mirrors. And the 4" ones give a really crappy view anyway, so I just bolted all four on...

Ooops, replied to the wrong post...

Edited by Wiggo

Wiggo...am impressed with your efforts re the Visor, very nice actually........tho' I made a different style of centre bar bracket for the Fulton visor I had...........andyd 

IMG_1358.JPG

• Like 2

Yep, the bracket in the pic thats the grey colour was the original bracket that bolted to the underneath of the Fulton, however the stainless steel was my home made setup, I used two pieces and they slipped inside the Fulton upper pieces then fitted on either side of the centre bar..........I loosened the inside screws that went into the outside centre bar to allow the stainless pieces to fit then gently tightened the inside screws( on the inside of the windscreen) which pulled the stainless pieces towards the centre bar then as I wanted the stainless pieces to look the same from both sides I had cut small lengths of 1/4 shitworth allthread  about 1" long and used chromed acorn nuts on either side.........it looked quite o/k tho' you can see some marks on the stainless where I bent it but overall it was much stronger and more pretty so as I am into pretty it was good.............lol....................andyd  

Nice work both Andy and Wiggo!  Can you post a better close up photo of how you made the rain gutter clamps please?  This gives me hope of building my own one day.  Of course, I need to get my '48 Dodge up and running, but I may copy your idea for my '50 Ford pickup which I just got re-wired and on the road.

Jim T

I used these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gripper-Clamps-for-Awning-Rail-to-Vehicle-Gutter-/292573633284?hash=item441ebf5b04

For the gutter clamps, I turned them around so they went together like spoons (if that makes sense), and beat them about a bit in the vise to get them to the right shape. Just took a bit of experimenting, as I was trying not to drill the gutter.

in an attempt to get my 48 ready for lead East, I just got myself a sun visor on the cheap, a buddy of mine had it in his garage and I got it for 50 bucks, I think it came off an old Chevy pick up around the 50s, but I'm going to make it work I just got done painting it, kind of a weird combo, satin black with black cherry flake, sorry about the crappy picture it's pouring out

20180803_182841.jpg

Edited by thebelvedereman

Love sun visors on old cars and trucks. Love everyone's thoughts on how to make them work. My suburban has an original 48 Fulton aluminum sun visor and my shop truck has a repo Fulton visor that I cut down to be proportional for the chop on the roof

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

John, just realised your Suburban has the same 1000 Series Fulton visor that I had on my 41 Plymouth, I like these a lot more than the "slab" or "plank" style visors that are more of just a flat visor............I didn't know there was a different style like the 1000 until I got mine from a guy in the US thru this forum, he had it on a 48 Plymouth so I knew it would fit the 41 and I was impressed how well it suited the car...........I was told that the 1000 Series apparently was introduced to suit the 1949 onwards cars, cars with a more rounded body, yet still retaining the 2 piece front windscreen.............the 1000 Series doesn't seem to be as popular as the flat style..........I see you have painted the side brackets, as I like "shiney" I polished these as they are alloy for a bit extra bling.........bling is good..................lol.....................andyd  

IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1393.JPG