39 Plymouth residual pressure valve?

Dennis Detweiler

5 hours ago, Dennis Detweiler said:

I'm in the middle of installing a scarebird front disc brake conversion kit. The instructions says, remove the RPV from the original master cylinder. The diagram of the master cylinder doesn't show a RPV?

Is there a dual reservoir master cylinder conversion on the market?

If it were me,I would contact Scarebird and ask them what they recommend. Make sure you ask for OEM parts numbers as well as donor car year and model.

I would definitely make an effort to use a dual-outlet master cylinder,and I would ask them about one that didn't need a power booster.

Edited by knuckleharley

6 hours ago, Dennis Detweiler said:

I'm in the middle of installing a scarebird front disc brake conversion kit. The instructions says, remove the RPV from the original master cylinder. The diagram of the master cylinder doesn't show a RPV?

Is there a dual reservoir master cylinder conversion on the market?

the repair manual parts breakdown drawing does indeed show the valve...in big black letters it says VALVE ASSEMBLY

I've been looking at an on-line diagram which I just compared to my 39 shop manual. The manual does show a "valve assembly" as #17. It's the last part before the brake line connection.  Since the rear brake shoes require residual pressure, I'm just wondering if the rear brakes would be less effective without the valve? However, would the valve cause the disc brakes to drag under residual pressure? Seems like it's less than ideal either way? A dual reservoir master cylinder conversion would be the answer?

the 10lbs was needed as the shoes used some very strong springs to push fluid back to the master....disc on the other hand only have the rolling of the square cut o-ring to return the piston..often aided by a very slight run  out...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams