Pre out of town check off list and road trip habit

pflaming

Feel free to add to this list items that are troublesome on a long road trip

Suggested tool to use: : bright flash light

cotter keys

fresh wet spot(s)

alternator / generator / fan  belt 

brake line connections

a college auto instructor friend always checks under his vehical with a bright flash light every time he stops. He contends loose parts seem to drop when the vehicle comes to rest. He also suggested adding an alt/gen light that shines when the engine is running. I'm going to add such on my vehicles.

35 minutes ago, pflaming said:

Feel free to add to this list items that are troublesome on a long road trip

Suggested tool to use: : bright flash light

cotter keys

fresh wet spot(s)

alternator / generator / fan  belt 

brake line connections

a college auto instructor friend always checks under his vehical with a bright flash light every time he stops. He contends loose parts seem to drop when the vehicle comes to rest. He also suggested adding an alt/gen light that shines when the engine is running. I'm going to add such on my vehicles.

I never go away from home with any old car or truck I own unless I have a spare NOS fuel pump and water pump in the trunk,and a small tool box so I have the tools to replace them,tighten loose nuts or bolts,tighten fan belts,remove stuck thermostats,etc,etc,etc. If the car was done several years ago,it might be worth your while to carry spare radiator hoses,or to just replace old radiator and heater hoses before you leave home.

You can buy a brand new fuel pump rated for use with ethanol and a brand new water pump to keep in your trunk cheaper that a rollback ride to anywhere,and a HELL of a lot cheaper than two or three days,or even more,in a motel room while you are waiting for the parts to come in.

One of the things I appreciate the most about pre-1975 cars is the fact that you CAN fix most of the things that go wrong with them along side the road if you have a basic tool box and the new parts.

I have a 06 turbo diesel 3/4 ton truck I used to pull my trailer back when I was still buying project and parts cars,and the labor bill alone to replace the water pump was estimated to be $1,000 5 or 6 years ago when I bought it. Seems you have to pull the whole front clip to get to the water pump. Keep this in mind the next time you want to complain about the price of a new starter,generator,or water pump on your old Mopar!

Of course,I can't pull a total load of 20k lbs down the interstate at 75 MPH with the cruise control on and the ac blowing cool air in my face with any of my old Mopars,either. Everything has it place and it's use.

Of course,if I were 20 or 30 years younger I have a 37 Dodge 2ton cab and chassis that I think would be a LOT of fun if I were to shorter  the chassis for a 6 foot bed with a 5th wheel hitch and "Z" it  about 6 inches front and rear,add dropped  beam front axle from a 1 ton,a 14 bolt dually 1 ton rear,6 foot stake body on the back,and power it with a Turbo Cummings with a 6 speed and chrome stacks running up the back of the cab. THAT would be a cool tow truck!

Edited by knuckleharley

I remember that on family vacations my dad always had an extra starter, water pump, and generator (later, alternator)  AND a pretty full set of tools.  But after the 62 Chrysler was retired, I don't recall that he did that anymore.  (I know I didn't have extra parts along when I took that 62 up to college, around 725 miles.  Did have two extra wheels & tires, and I needed them, too.  I was too new at driving long distances to know that I should slow down in the August heat, traveling up to Minnesota through Kansas & Nebraska from Oklahoma.  Had two blow outs the first day!)