stupidest thing I've ever seen

thebelvedereman

I'm going to slowly rewire it as I drive it to the local cruise nights, I'm going to take it to lead East this year too, already reserved my spot,  my dad doesn't have much longer, I bought this car cuz it's plenty large and comfortable to take him to some car shows, and have room for his wheelchair, and it rides a heck of a lot smoother then the 39 Plymouth Business Coupe, I flushed out the brake system and put all new fluid in it yesterday, and now it has pretty good brakes, except I have one leaky wheel cylinder in the rear, I just ordered another one

I replaced all the wiring in my DeSoto, added ground wires here and there, headlight relay, and a 6-volt alternator, all in time.  Regarding the electrical system, wiring replacement should come first.  If the generator and regulator are causing problems, consider a 6-volt alternator.   (Maybe a local shop can fix one up for you, with the correct pulley.)  No rush to go to 12 volts.  Get/keep the car running and get the use out of it, in my IMHO humble opinion.      

19 minutes ago, thebelvedereman said:

And the condenser for the points, and the bulbs, and the starter motor, and the generator, and so on and so on it's not just the battery

I was referring to the new parts you listed a few posts back. 

That said, yes on everything you listed above except the starter, it doesn’t care. I’ve been running my 6v starter for 10 years on 12v with no issues, the clock too. I also ran the same condenser for 5 years before I did the slant 6 distributor mod with no issues, coil too. I just added a ballast resistor. 

Edited by Adam H P15 D30

1 minute ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

I was referring to the new parts you listed a few posts back. 

That said, yes on everything you listed above except the starter, it doesn’t care. I’ve been running my 6v starter for 10 years on 12v with no issues, the clock too. 

yeah I've already converted quite a few and kept the original 6 volt starter, it usually lasts a couple years, but mine is shot if my car doesn't start on half a crank, it just spins , it's long overdue for a rebuild, and I'm pretty sure 12 volts would fry it completely