engine heat inside the car

Thomba48

Did my first small tours lately with the Plymouth. We have currently outside temperatures of around 86 to 88 Fahrenheit. That might have an impact on the situation obviously. But still, the car tends to get very hot, 190 plus very quickly. Meaning after a very short drive. Making driving a very unpleasant task from an inside perspective. Heat everywhere, one almost feels being boiled in the foot comparment section. I haven't got a carpet yet. But that will not have an impact in the end, so I believe. Up in untill the pedal section I have covered the floor in a butyl covered foil which should have helped. But obviously does not.

A. Is the temperature ok?

B. What can I do in the firewall area without having to take everything away that there is. It feels like if I wanted to add a foil there also I would have to almost take away the entire dashboard.

thanks 

Thomba, whilst my car is a 1940 Dodge it is basically the same arrangement in the front firewall area and 8 months ago I redid the firewall and front passenger area with a heat and sound deadener.......this stuff is an Oz made equivalent to Dynamat and I'm sure that a similar stuff is available in Europe.........the 1st pic shows the thin carpet type material I used straight onto the firewall down to where the front floor seam is........because of the way I have used 3 separate floor pieces, ie, one under the centre console and a more easily removed piece either side of that console I made the insulation to cover the pieces so that I could still remove each piece without difficulty...........after this I took the car to a local upholstery shop and had the carpet professionally made and installed and it has cut the heat and sound.............I dunno if any of this helps your setup tho' or gives you any ideas............andyd    

P1010271.JPG

P1010264.JPG

P1010265.JPG

P1010278.JPG

while insulation is surely a good thing to add to your interior for both sound deadening and temperature curtailment, you may want to check your heat riser on the engine manifold.  Should it be sticking that could explain the quick rise to temp in a short run and also will add to heat transfer at the firewall.  After that, confirm the proper circulation of water in the cooling system.  Testing the head temp at various locations with a infrared may help in determining the water distribution tube without the need to pull for visual.  You should have a fairly heavy stock insulation pad on the firewall within the passenger compartment.  Also keep in mind that a convertible has little to no insulation value on the top...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

while insulation is surely a good thing to add to your interior for both sound deadening and temperature curtailment, you may want to check your heat riser on the engine manifold.  Should it be sticking that could explain the quick rise to temp in a short run and also will add to heat transfer at the firewall.  After that, confirm the proper circulation of water in the cooling system.  Testing the head temp at various locations with a infrared may help in determining the water distribution tube without the need to pull for visual.  You should have a fairly heavy stock insulation pad on the firewall within the passenger compartment.  Also keep in mind that a convertible has little to no insulation value on the top...

Thanks. More investigation to follow ?

My 52 runs at a cooler temp but on hot days the inside(80+) does get some what warm. Driving with the windows down and vent open of course helps. I have thought about insulating it but I am afraid if I try to remove the mats ail i will have will be  pieces.

3 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

My 52 runs at a cooler temp but on hot days the inside(80+) does get some what warm. Driving with the windows down and vent open of course helps. I have thought about insulating it but I am afraid if I try to remove the mats ail i will have will be  pieces.

sounds like a case of     "let the sleeping dog lie"  as long as it is not a Flintstone model you can look at that another time...