Original ignition key found

I have a 50 B2b from the original owner(my father-in-law).

So i poured the oil out of the oil bath air cleaner to replace it. Lying in the oil was an ignition key with a key tag. I fits the truck perfectly in the passenger door and ignition.

The key i had been using is brass and looks original as it has identical border design, however it is so worn that it hangs up in the ignition and won't work in the door at all.

The key I found in the air cleaner is steel, not brass. So is it original? don't know. I have included a picture. It has a tag with a number and the same name (Hurd) as the key.

The tag is labeled "Record and detach" ????. Not sure why. Is there, or was there, a data base somewhere that an ignition key could be reproduced if i have this number? At the dealership?

• Like 3

I think I'll do that to hide my keys!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Db4, hope your memory is better than mine or they will also be hidden from you!

• Haha 1

It sounds like something my Uncle Jay would have done. He always used to hide a extra key somewhere in the engine compartment. In later years (the 80's) he would attach one to inside of the lid of the windshield washer reservoir with a string or twist tie . I forgot all about that until I saw this thread then it all came back. He was one heck of a mechanic. He learned it working on aircraft during WW2 when he was in the Army. I sure do miss him :)

John 

Edited by John Rogers

20 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

no need to hide them Rob, just send me a spare for the "Green machine" and "Big Red" i'll keep them safe for you  :D

• Like 1

Right before I end up in the nursing home I'll send both sets Brent!

Ah... as long as I still have what's left of my mind.:blink:

• Haha 2