Vent window

Cannuck

Hi I am thinking about starting the task of repainting the interior trim. i have a spare front window trim with the vent window attached ,problem is i can't remove the vent window .

I removed the bolt and spring on the bottom then unable to proceed .i am not sure if its a rust problem ,tried oil with no success. Also removed top support tried tapping with hammer no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks 

4 minutes ago, Cannuck said:

Hi I am thinking about starting the task of repainting the interior trim. i have a spare front window trim with the vent window attached ,problem is i can't remove the vent window .

I removed the bolt and spring on the bottom then unable to proceed .i am not sure if its a rust problem ,tried oil with no success. Also removed top support tried tapping with hammer no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks 

All I can suggest is maybe to try soaking it in your parts washer while it agitates,or maybe soak it in lacquer thinner.

Thank you 

I will try soaking it .

Am i right to assume that the post should slide through the two washers.

Or is one a key that needs to be removed.Sorry for my terms have no idea what the parts are called

Here's a dis-assembled convertible vent window. Is the top serrated stop washer loose? I've had some pretty good success with a penetrant called Free All when used repeatedly over three or four days. Keep spraying and tapping with a brass hammer.

DSC08477.jpg

DSC08491.jpg

DSC08520.jpg

• Like 1

Hi  

After a few days of spraying penetrating oil on the stem and washers it finally came free.

It was slightly different setup where the shaft holding the washers was square and badly corroded .

Thanks to everyone

One of my quarter vents does not have the proper force to keep it in an open position.  When I had my inner fender panels off, i got a good look at the hardware for the other vent window. 

Someday I will make the same type of gizmo (quarter vent pivot clamp?) for the free-swinging vent. 

823904557_quartervent(1)leftwithpivotclamp.JPG.23438247291ef1f23c065cc609dae08b.JPG

368182385_quartervent(4)pivotclamp.JPG.772e8a23d62d22e6f3d9eaff4d1afef2.JPG

quarter vent (2) pivot clamp.JPG

quarter vent (3) pivot clamp.JPG

Donald..........an easy way to increase the tension on the vent window would be to remove that clamp thats held on with the 2 nuts then hit a centre punch a couple of times into the inner area that the vent pivot shaft turns in, the centre punch wacks should result in a couple of spots where the metal has been made more pronounced against the shaft thereby helping to increase the friction against the shaft and holding it open............or if you have some very thin shim stock then make a small piece to fit where the shaft rotates, again by doing the same job this increases the friction on the shaft and it holds the vent window tighter...........andyd    

Andy, good information for a loose clamp, but the vent shown has a good clamp; the other does not.  So someday I have to fabricate a new clamp for the other vent.  Someday; on my To-Do List,  under either the "Future" or "Far off" category. 

• Like 1