AIR CLEANER DONE

JOHN EDGE

1 hour ago, DrDoctor said:

Question—based upon the photos in this article, I didn’t notice any type of filtering media on the fan housing, so how is the incoming air from the electric fan thru the ducting filtered?

1 hour ago, DrDoctor said:

Question—based upon the photos in this article, I didn’t notice any type of filtering media on the fan housing, so how is the incoming air from the electric fan thru the ducting filtered?

The air inlet at the  blower motor I'm using a brake duct and they make a filter that I've ordered to install there. It's a small rectangular flat filter like used inside cars 

While I appreciate the ingenuity, I don't see the point of this setup.  If the blower motor actually pushes more air into the filter than the engine is using, the excess will merely go through the filter element in the opposite (from normal) direction.

Marty

PS. Not to mention that the pleated filter is probably a much better filter element than any small rectangular flat filter.

Edited by martybose
added a thought.

3 hours ago, martybose said:

While I appreciate the ingenuity, I don't see the point of this setup.  If the blower motor actually pushes more air into the filter than the engine is using, the excess will merely go through the filter element in the opposite (from normal) direction.

Marty

PS. Not to mention that the pleated filter is probably a much better filter element than any small rectangular flat filter.

Let me see if I can explain my point of this setup.  When I installed the dual carbs I bought the carbs and air cleaners from tom Langdon and they were just these simple bell type air cleaner with the filter exposed to elements.  I took my wagon on the hot rod power tour this year and after 2700 miles I returned home and noticed that the rear  air cleaner element that the lower molded area of the air filter was distorted from the engine  exhaust heat .  Never liked the exposed filters and decided to change the  air filters to something more protective to the elements and maybe improve drive ability. No one makes a dual element  air cleaner  so I went thru the shop looking for something that might work.  We had a big block vette tri power set up and I measured it and thus the air cleaner .  I wanted to help cool the air temp entering the engine and thus the ambient air sent to the air cleaner . From past experience with allowing fresh air into the carbs verses hot engine air. Cool air is the winner. Never dyno an engine that didn't do better cold verses hot. Secondly I like the look of the air cleaner.

ps. Had several people on this site question me as why would I spend money on an aluminum head,dual carbs,Fenton exhaust ,etc and air cleaner .  Drove my wagon for a year in stock trim and I can confirm that without a doubt this wagon runs,drives and out performs itself now.

image.jpeg

• Like 2