6v one wire positive ground alternator

Randy Brian

This is a good replacement for the gen, Take wires going to gen and volt reg and get rid of them. Take the hot wire coming from the firewall marked batt on volt reg and hook it to your one wire coming from alternator,  The original amp gauge will work. I look all over for the answer to how to do this correctly and found nothing. So i share the pain I went through to figure this out. Don't use a 8v batt as it will not charge properly and will be ruined within a few weeks. 

I had 'splained alternator wiring somewhere, in the depths of the posts and threads, but it sounds like you have it covered.  One thing to add: 

My DeSoto had a wire running from the starter solenoid to the generator, to ground the solenoid.  With the motor running and the generator spinning, there would no longer be a ground through the generator, therefore, no grinding of starter gear and flywheel teeth.   

You could ground the wire anywhere convenient.   I grounded the it at the starter.  (Be careful not to push the starter button when the engine is running.)   

Someday, I might try to run this grounding wire to the oil pressure switch I installed to cut off the electric fuel pump if the engine quits but the ignition is on.  There is a normally closed contact that would open up when the oil pressure builds.  I don't know if cranking without starting would generate enough pressure to shut off the switch.  Someday I'll find out.  Someday.