Adjustment of tappet or valves

So I found out 2 things today. One always follow your gut. Two the fender on my truck needs to come off to adjust the valves. I have the inner fender unbolted and it won't move anywhere. Frame, fender, shock and anything wlse you can think of is in the way. Was thinking of going from the top but exhaust manifold in the way. Fender doesn't look like it would be to hard to take off.

Am I doing it wrong?

Ya I would love to have that type of inner fender. But I don't. Mine has a big bulge in it for the tires. Some times I wish things were easy but ya there not. 

This engine was put in a few years ago and the guy put 3 new valves in. But wasn't sure if they had adjusted the rest of them. Didn't keep any paper work for it to say what he did. 

20180725_185441.jpg

No problem Merle Coggins. I don't know if the 1 ton or 1/2 tons are different or even if the Dodges and Fargos were different. But taking it apart is a fun experience. Figuring things out. I want to drive it but as my buddy always says. When it is done to your satisfaction then it is done. So even if I wasn't going to adjust the valves I would still be taking it off to do the gasket. I know I can just take off the exhaust manifilold and do it. But there isn't that I have found in shop manual yet a way to cold set those valves

If there is does anyone know how to set a 251 cold or is it just better to go through the process of taking the rest apart since there is like 7 bolts left to take fender off and do it hot?

Oh by the way I did do compression test the other day and it was between 96 to 98 

Edited by bambamshere

7 hours ago, bambamshere said:

Well I guess there noisey. But the real reason I'm doing all this is one of the gaskets are leaking so I thought what the hell may as well look at them also. Can't hurt 

If your gasket is leaking the oil drain holes in the valleys of the valve chamber are plugged up and not draining correctly. Were it me I would not mess with the valve adjustment. A little noise is better than no noise and a burned valve. Don't fix what is not broken.

1 hour ago, Don Coatney said:

If your gasket is leaking the oil drain holes in the valleys of the valve chamber are plugged up and not draining correctly. 

Thanks for pointing that out, I wasn't aware it did that.  I do have one leaking valve cover gasket that I've been wanting to replace and now that I know...I'll be cleaning the oil drain passages as well.

Already all taken apart. Haven't done anything because the gasket set I got are the wrong gaskets. The right ones are being sent to local parts store. I will take a look and aee what is going on. Taking a break right now.

49 minutes ago, Al Peterson said:

Thanks for pointing that out, I wasn't aware it did that.  I do have one leaking valve cover gasket that I've been wanting to replace and now that I know...I'll be cleaning the oil drain passages as well.

They can get very plugged up.

screwthecrud.jpg

Installingthevalves22-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well engine was rebuilt in 1974 and I talked to the guy that put it from a combine into my truck. He replaced 3 valves but only cold set those 3. So the other side probably hasn't been opened since it was rebuilt. So I just want to take a look and see what if anything needs to be done. 

I mean the fender is off now so may as well look. Got the right gaskets now. 

Edited by bambamshere