Wheel stud conversion

Arniej

What screw in type of wheel stud should I use to convert my 47 P15 from lug bolts to studs, where to buy them and what part number. Has anyone done this and could provide me any information. Thanks

I used Frod wheel studs years ago when I was playing with using front disc rotors on the rear Mopar hubs...........lol..........long story...........lol.......... but what I did was to measure the depth/width of the threaded area in the hub and the diameter which as it was a 1/2" UNF thread was 1/2".............I then went to the local Frod dealer and was able to ask the nice parts guy to check a few different wheel studs he had in stock, all were 1/2" UNF so it was just a matter of finding one that had a splined length that was the same as the thickness of the Mopar hub and the diameter that would allow me to clearance drill the Mopar threads to suit the Frod wheel studs splined area...........which I did and pressed the Frod studs into the hub from the rear with the use of my bench vice.............also did a similar thing on some 1" thick wheel spacers that I used later on this setup...........but the main thing is to find a wheel stud that is the right size, I didn't keep any part numbers so can't help there and I used Frod stuff as here in Oz they are 1/2" UNF whereas Oz Chrysler, ie, Valiant use 7/16"th UNF and would have been too thin................sorry no pics tho'...............just had a thought......if you could find a similar year mopar brake drum that has the studs that may allow you to compare and see what might work..................andyd   

Edited by Andydodge

I got mine from a trailer supply place.  Most trailers use a 1/2" UNF thread and the splined area is smaller than most Ford studs.  That means you'll have to drill out less metal, and with my drill press that was important.   Sorry, no P/n or brand, but a quick look at a trailer parts shelf should fix you up.  Then stop by a tool supply and buy a good drill bit that matches the OD of the splined area.  Actually, not matches exactly, but about the size of the root, not tip, of the spline.  A little too big, within reason, is better than too small.  mine was either 19 or 21 64ths, I don't recall which.

I was scrounging around on our computer, as I recalled having saved some information on this very subject. Here it is: the studs from Jegs, part# 718-823,. ½''-20 x 1½" (UNF) .615'' Knurl. Use a 39/64" drill bit. Be very careful when drilling, as when (not “if” . . .) the bit grabs the hole in the drum, it’ll either spin the drum (if it’s not secured in some manner), or twist the drill right out of your hands (not good either). Use a good cutting-oil, not just motor oil. Patience and perseverance = success. Regards to you . . .

PS—Doorman # 610-258.1 97001.1 wheel stud work, but may be abit short with original wheels (the lug studs may not reach all the way thru the lug nuts . . .).

Edited by DrDoctor
  • Like 1