Occasional rattling noise from bell housing area

maok

Edited by maok
wrong thread

On 12/5/2018 at 5:00 PM, maok said:

Here is the offending piston.

IMAG1131b.jpg.bdaf965e55bdfffc198e17d486bd8e8a.jpgIMAG1132.jpg.11fb8de4cf1938ec4fea63389abfc38a.jpg

IMAG1131.jpg

Going to take a LOT of Super Glue to put that one back together!

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Going to take a LOT of Super Glue to put that one back together!

Gaffer tape should fix this one...?

IMAG1496.jpg.1a7e9879b2e8d956464dceea46b31bec.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, a new engine didn't fix the rattle..?

It seems to happen only when I back off the power, ie, pushing the clutch pedal in or releasing the throttle, regardless of the gear it's in. I can feel the vibration of the rattle via the gear stick and some from the clutch pedal.

No rattle  when accellerating or constant cruise.

Any ideas?

I'd be checking the gearbox bearings, mainshaft........and you checked the clutch, throwout bearing and carrier, input shaft etc, etc..........lol.........andyd, 

I am confident its not int he  clutch assembly, the rattle would be there at idle. The rattle sound frequency is proportional to the car speed. As the car slows down, the frequency slows down as well.

The more I think about it, the issue probably is in the gearbox. I am going to do one more test today, see if the rattle is apparent when I put the gearbox into neutral when I back off the power.

Here are pics of the driveshaft joints. One of the caps is a little loose over the ball section, otherwise they look good. The two springs are not originals. There was plenty of grease pack in there, probably too much.

IMAG1798.jpg.7099426b72b949ff42ad84d10b085fd9.jpgIMAG1799.jpg.f0d9974aa483e7986d12ee34ef79b24a.jpgIMAG1800.jpg.72cc6d602c625a266f224cdf844db7e9.jpg

The rattle is still there when rolling in neutral. The mystery continues.

The mystery of the rattle is solved....?

Well.......??

I know, I know......I know...........it was all the loose change in your pocket...............lol................yeh......back in my corner I go.........lol............andyd

• Like 1

The engine is so quiet now that I can hear the loose change in my pockets and all the other rattles....lol

Drum roll..................................

Drive shaft had wore inside the pockets of the balls. When I inspected the drive shaft initially, the balls looked GREAT! However, neglected to look inside the cups, which are wore badly. Why do they make the balls from hardened steal and the cups from mild steal? It surely is easier to replace the balls than the cups.

New modern drive shaft (almost a hotrod now) and she is less rattly...lol

Edited by maok
grammar

Maok..........so you are replacing the ball & trunion crap with a proper universal joint...........ain't hotrods great ............lol............andyd

• Like 1

Ball and trunnions are great if rebuilt right. That can be a big if...parts availability can be a problem..

I do my own... never an issue. I'm lucky.