Occasional rattling noise from bell housing area

maok

Well it looks like I have had two issues. The original issue looks like a slight contact with the clutch plate rivets.

IMAG1068.thumb.jpg.cc4ddae35d48e5035bb371b2ea7d2e14.jpgIMAG1074.thumb.jpg.a0a4ce9aa99b9228a6dba9a54c179a7a.jpgIMAG1075.thumb.jpg.fd08b5389b4ac1c3172d760abb95ebb1.jpg

But the new issue is probably a broken #5 or#6 piston or damaged/broken piston pin. In the words of a famous bush ranger, 'such is life'.

After starting the engine and running for a few seconds it was obvious that there is a massive knock/rattle from the back of the engine.

Edited by maok
spelling

Pictures of flywheel and pressure plate?

Would like to see them also, but sorry for whatever is going on.

DJ

5 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

Pictures of flywheel and pressure plate?

Would like to see them also, but sorry for whatever is going on.

DJ

On closer inspection, it looks like it has made contact with the pressure plate. See arrow. As the fiction material wore down the rivets got closer to the inner circumference of the pressure plate. But it still doesn't explain why it would happen all of a sudden.

IMAG1072a.jpg.10eb195b0603a7bcb7a3a35b8bf826d5.jpgIMAG1072.thumb.jpg.1eb68fb0c2e677362129618397746b37.jpg

Maok........looks like the clutch and pressure plate are not the correct size for each other.............the width of the friction material on the clutch plate should/would have covered the same width as that on the pressure plate which would have stopped the rivets grinding into the pressure plate............or at least on any I've seen, but I am not an expert by any means........who assembled the clutch etc?.........andyd 

Yeah, I agree Andy. Two blokes in Sydney (bloody newsouthwelshman...lol) restored this Chrysler about 20 years ago. They've obviously went for the new style of clutch plate and friction material, possibly the clutch plate was given to a clutch re-builder without taking into account how well it would work with the flywheel and  vintage style of pressure plate.

I have two clutch assemblies at a professional clutch re-building shop here in Brisbane, hopefully they can make it to work. Plus I need it for the new engine re-build, the turning assembly will be balanced next week.  woohoo!

Edited by maok
added info

I spent 6 months in Brisbane  ☺️ and 3 very forgettable months in Sidney!   ?

Plus their regional beers did not even compare!  All thumbs down comparatively, forced it down but - - -

DJ

59 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

I spent 6 months in Brisbane  ☺️ and 3 very forgettable months in Sidney!   ?

Plus their regional beers did not even compare!  All thumbs down comparatively, forced it down but - - -

DJ

I forced down a few schooner's in Sidney.

5 minutes ago, Don Coatney said:

I forced down a few schooner's in Sidney.

Poor Sidney. That happens a lot to him...lol

I was born in and grew up in Sydney...........come to think of it.....I haven't really grown up ...........lol...........as for beers, try Tooheys Old, yum!..........and at least NSW guys can spell their beers........not that XXXX rubbish..............lol............now where were we?............ah, yes clutch rebuilders in Sydney........may have been the bastard sons of the mongrel Robin Orlando, the jerk who rebuilt the original engine in the Ol' brown turd.........I got 1200 miles out of it before it buggered the mains, ah, its good to wish a slow painful death on some of the dropkicks I've had the misfortune to deal with over the years.................lol.................Maok, you'll get it right mate..............andyd 

Edited by Andydodge
  • Like 1

Good news is that I will have the new engine before xmas this time....:)

The mystery of the clutch assembly solved. Interestingly, the pressure plate that came with the old engine, the inner circumference was taken out by 5 to 10mm (haven't measured it yet) but had the standard rubber style clutch plate, so there were no clearance issues. But the one in the existing engine with the new style of clutch plate (with the springs) and wider centre hub, the pressure plate inner circumference was NOT taken out, hence the contact on the rivets.

IMAG1084b.thumb.jpg.1c6a5958b0b4593c3c354010624f37b9.jpgIMAG1085b.thumb.jpg.d6a802c3b52486fdb4b3355bf9429087.jpg 

IMAG1087.thumb.jpg.368e380ce231d6e44920b3a1aa2c7f8c.jpgIMAG1071a.thumb.jpg.aa3fd2af4fd06aedfc8f6b1f74a16f25.jpgOld 

I don't have a pic of the other pressure plate that the inner circumference has been taken out on previously, it is at the machinist to be balanced with crank. So the new clutch plate will go with the old pressure plate with no clearance issues this time.

IMAG1072a.thumb.jpg.9f08aa89f8779270264fc90f60557a35.jpg

maok-

Glad you found the issue with the clutch and noise.

Would not mind being in Brisbane or may be Cairns? (never got that far, but)  a lot warmer there than the states!

Even though I am in No. Calif. it is still a lot colder here than your summer -go to the beach  for Christmas picnic weather! ?

DJ

52 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

maok-

Glad you found the issue with the clutch and noise.

Would not mind being in Brisbane or may be Cairns? (never got that far, but)  a lot warmer there than the states!

Even though I am in No. Calif. it is still a lot colder here than your summer -go to the beach  for Christmas picnic weather! ?

DJ

To be honest, this is the worst time of the year to be in Brisbane, just way too hot for this ex-Melbournian. It wont let up until mid April, and I wont mention Brisbane summer storms and floods. April to October is much more livable. Luckily I installed 75mm insulated roof sheets on my garage and fully lined the walls with insulations as well.

Looks cold to me, but??  ? ?

Many of the Aussies I worked with wore shorts and T-shirt type of shirts year round so your pic. with everyone wearing shorts does not tell much about the weather out.  ?

DJ

Edited by DJ194950

Here is the offending piston.

IMAG1131b.jpg.bdaf965e55bdfffc198e17d486bd8e8a.jpgIMAG1132.jpg.11fb8de4cf1938ec4fea63389abfc38a.jpg

IMAG1131.jpg

• Sad 1

Oh Oh?.... broken ring and land?

2 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Oh Oh?.... broken ring and land?

Most likely.

I guess the fun starts now....lol

3 hours ago, Andydodge said:

If its any help I have 2 sets of 3&1/4" bore rings, 40 & 60 thou o/s........andyd      

I would have to file those down a fair bit to get them in a 3" bore Andy.

Or use a large rattail file to bore the engine out............lol..........oh well.............andyd 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thought I would finish this thread out by posting pics of the new combination of flywheel, clutch plate and pressure plate.

IMAG1173.jpg.c86bf90ebbee982a80312dc167cd80a9.jpgIMAG1174.jpg.6f8de254956c22c3dec45c97c905f158.jpg

IMAG1175.jpg.f471c5c5cf7ff083a95033b829aed293.jpgIMAG1176.jpg.10714dcbd426074b728393b4c0b820b2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

#6 piston rattle...?

IMAG1496.thumb.jpg.893248b8d1e1d0e9a21be718cdc24a71.jpgIMAG1497.thumb.jpg.93fe51cde3cc26b0b38f3797e6a37641.jpg