Interstate Highway map

plymouthcranbrook

That is indeed cool to see the progress of the Interstate system.  I remember as a kid traveling back and forth from Texas to Illinois, and within both states, and seeing first hand the construction and progress of various Interstates.  I have a 1942 Texas highway map, kind of mind numbing to see the highway system without the Interstates and imagining travel in those days.  Although...I certainly prefer the back roads over the Interstates when we don't have a schedule to follow.  

The back roads are a lot quieter these days.  Back then, they were the major routes between cities, and clogged with trucks, Sunday drivers, and tractors.  No minimum speed limit.  Pass, do not pass, deadly game. 

US 16 between Detroit and Lansing had a third, passing lane, but it had to be "shared"judiciously.  Now the old road is two wide lanes and lightly traveled.  The two--lane roads, 65 mph, widened near the cities, but the speed limits dropped precipitously,  generating much ticket revenue.  

So, enjoy the back roads, but temper the nostalgia with a few contrary memories. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DonaldSmith said:

The back roads are a lot quieter these days.  Back then, they were the major routes between cities, and clogged with trucks, Sunday drivers, and tractors.  No minimum speed limit.  Pass, do not pass, deadly game. 

US 16 between Detroit and Lansing had a third, passing lane, but it had to be "shared"judiciously.  Now the old road is two wide lanes and lightly traveled.  The two--lane roads, 65 mph, widened near the cities, but the speed limits dropped precipitously,  generating much ticket revenue.  

So, enjoy the back roads, but temper the nostalgia with a few contrary memories. 

I remember riding with my Father in Wisconsin as a young boy and hearing him curse the third passing lane  on many state roads. 

Edited by plymouthcranbrook

In 1959 I drove from California to Western Nebraska in a fastback '50 Plymouth. We drove across Wyoming on a Sunday afternoon. Alongside the rolling two lane highway was a very long stretch of the new interstate Hwy. We looked at that new empty road, then got on it for at least 75 miles. The two lane was busy, we were all alone, nice drive.

• 2 weeks later...

I recall driving to Corpus Christie Texas from Nebraska in 1955  in a 51 Plymouth Cranbrook 2 door with 6 of us in the car.  The first day we drove to Oklahoma City.  Driving into it during night time hours and seeing those huge stacks in the air on fire burning off the excess gasses from refining crude to gasoline.

Second day we drove and drove and drove across Texas.  Didnt think we would ever get there.  Texas was extremely huge in the two lane highway days.  I recall sleeping on the big floor boards.

Now some relatives from East of Dallas was here  and they headed home in the afternoon in 2 or 3 vehicles and was driving straight thru on the interstate and they said they would be home in not many hours.  Thank goodness for 4 lanes and interstate

They promised us a 4 lane all the way to Omaha by late 80's.  It is only half done at this point 30 years later.  They are talking of starting another section next year, we will see.  I always hoped to see this road done by the end of my lifetime.  Not going to make it.