My First Car -- P15 1947 Plymouth Deluxe

NickPickToo
Go to solution Solved by kbuhagiar,

13 minutes ago, kbuhagiar said:

IMHO you have a legitimate concern. I haven't yet mounted my prop valve on my 47 for the same reason; I'm not crazy about it hanging below the frame.

That is one my projects this winter, I'm going to fab a bracket and lines to place it out of harm's way.

That is what I did...I will grab a photo this weekend...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kbuhagiar said:

IMHO you have a legitimate concern. I haven't yet mounted my prop valve on my 47 for the same reason; I'm not crazy about it hanging below the frame.

That is one my projects this winter, I'm going to fab a bracket and lines to place it out of harm's way.

Hi Ken,  not sure if your setup is similar to Nicholas's, but there is a good bit of space between the frame and the MC as it comes off the bracket he received from ECI.  Thinking about mounting it to the frame next to the MC rather than hanging it below.  Running the lines from the MC to the Valve would be less elegant that way, but it would keep the assembly above the frame line.  I'll have Nicholas post of picture of what ever we come up with.  Now I'm remembering ECI told us they were holding the bracket out and not charging us for it for this reason.  Bobby it would be great to see what your solution was.

Edited by NickPick'sCrew

As an old English teacher, I'm getting a bit confused when you guys start talking about "breaks".  I can't tell if you're talking about something breaking, or if you're talking about "brakes".  Brakes are what stops your car on purpose.  Breaks are what stops your car not on purpose.  I know, English is confusing because it's full of these homonyms.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Bobby said:

For whata it is worth,,,,

image1.jpeg.807048e95faf2c514f5ccedd4122549a.jpeg

Bobby, do I see a collapsible steering shaft in this pic also?  BTW I do like how you mounted your proportioning/combination valve

On 9/28/2019 at 5:45 PM, MarcDeSoto said:

As an old English teacher, I'm getting a bit confused when you guys start talking about "breaks".  I can't tell if you're talking about something breaking, or if you're talking about "brakes".  Brakes are what stops your car on purpose.  Breaks are what stops your car not on purpose.  I know, English is confusing because it's full of these homonyms.  

Always had issues with spelling.  As a freshman in HS I started showing up early in the morning to join in spelling drills with the spelling bee team.  I never competed beyond those morning sessions, but my recollection was that the teacher took pitty on me for putting in the effort and let me pass anyway.  Now and then I get a little sloppy and forget to double check those illiteracies.  I also seem to have passed the affliction on to my boys.  That said, Nicholas's older brother is in college now and seems to be getting past it.  He uses Gramerly.  

Marc.  Thank you for taking pitty too.  We enjoy the forum.

Edited by NickPick'sCrew

Not really for sale so posting here.  Don't think I should pay five bucks to give something away.  Giving away because of how helpful everyone is being.  Up for grabs for free (except shipping cost) are four wheels and tires.  I believe the wheels are original to the car.  They're no good as a spare for me except on the rear because of the front brake conversion.  Two of the tires are 4 ply and in great shape and would be good spares.  Just send me or dad (Nickpick'screw) a message if interested and to arrange pickup or shipping.  Take all four or one as a spare but preference given to someone who wants to keep the set together.  Honor system so please don't take to flip.  tire sizes are all 6 - 16.  Not sure width of wheel because I haven't broken it down. Dad is guessing 4.

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

2 hours ago, NickPickToo said:

Not really for sale so posting here.  Don't think I should pay five bucks to give something away.  Giving away because of how helpful everyone is being.  Up for grabs for free (except shipping cost) are four wheels and tires.  I believe the wheels are original to the car.  They're no good as a spare for me except on the rear because of the front brake conversion.  Two of the tires are 4 ply and in great shape and would be good spares.  Just send me or dad (Nickpick'screw) a message if interested and to arrange pickup or shipping.  Take all four or one as a spare but preference given to someone who wants to keep the set together.  Honor system so please don't take to flip.  tire sizes are all 6 - 16.  Not sure width of wheel because I haven't broken it down. Dad is guessing 4.

Sorry but I'm amending Nicholas's post.  You're keeping one of the 4 ply's as a spare.  If you have issues with a front tire,  move a rear tire forward.

No parents were harmed in the making of this picture.  We already established my dad can't spell, but he was watching me turn the drum puller without his shoes on so I think i there's much more not working with him.   This really snaps back when it breaks loose so don't stand next to it waiting to receive it catcher style.

IMG_0171.jpg

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, NickPickToo said:

No parents were harmed in the making of this picture.  We already established my dad can't spell, but he was watching me turn the drum puller without his shoes on so I think i there's much more not working with him.   This really snaps back when it breaks loose so don't stand next to it waiting to receive it catcher style.

IMG_0171.jpg

I know it's late to say it now, but it's a good idea to keep the axle nut turned on far enough that the drum doesn't try to go through you when it comes loose.  (Also protects the end of the axle.)

4 minutes ago, Eneto-55 said:

I know it's late to say it now, but it's a good idea to keep the axle nut turned on far enough that the drum doesn't try to go through you when it comes loose.  (Also protects the end of the axle.)

Thank you!  I still have the left side to take off so I will do.  I did stand to the side and used a long enough breaker bar to stay clear of the path of travel.

Then it May be safe to work on it barefoot to! ??

DJ

And don't use that hammer to hit the end of the puller, the Service Manual states that might damage the bearings and brake backing plate on the other side.

A barefoot mechanic, eh?    :)

Edited by Sam Buchanan

20 minutes ago, NickPickToo said:

lol You may just be related on my dad's side.  "too" 

I debated about using to or too,  looked for where I wrote down their usage rules but they are lost so I winged it- heck I had a 50/50 chance, wrong! I do not gamble with money for that reason!  ?

I do sometimes go barefoot in my garage (my shop) but I'm careful where I walk and do no work- seldom do that anyway but that's another story. ☺️

DJ

1 hour ago, DJ194950 said:

Then it May be safe to work on it barefoot to! ??

DJ

1 hour ago, Sam Buchanan said:

A barefoot mechanic, eh?    

Speaking of working in the shop barefoot, when I was working on the floor of my car I had such thick calluses on the bottom of my feet from going barefoot all of the time that I did drilling, grinding, etc. under the car body, all with bare feet.  I probably had lots of steel slivers in my feet, but I never felt them. 

Edited by Eneto-55
  • Like 1