My First Car -- P15 1947 Plymouth Deluxe

NickPickToo
Go to solution Solved by kbuhagiar,

Learned how to weld today from a family friend (same friend lending us the rotisserie).    Its a little rough right now but had a blast learning.  Our plan is to build a cart for our own welding unit next weekend before trying to weld on the Plymouth.  Mom and dad learned how to weld also.

IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0633.jpg

By the looks of those plates your friend is a welding instructor.  lol. I remember when I completed my welding program we started off using those same plates.  Like was mentioned already watch videos, read some theory and you will learn quickly. 

22 hours ago, woodrow said:

By the looks of those plates your friend is a welding instructor.  lol. I remember when I completed my welding program we started off using those same plates.  Like was mentioned already watch videos, read some theory and you will learn quickly. 

Close.  Engineer by education and one time rally car builder and racer for fun.  He has the coolest old mazda with a rotary engine in his shop that had all kinds of roll bar support and electronic modifications.  Looked like a space ship from a really old time movie.  he told me his welds were just as rough a first and i'll be drawing a good bead in no time.  

• 3 weeks later...

My first welding rig.  

Okay its not so straight, only three of four wheels touch the ground at a time, and it cost more to make than to buy, but look at that weld.  Okay that's on the thicker stuff.  I'm still working on getting the thinner gages clean. 

Advice for others just learning like me, forget about the flux core stuff.  Go straight to the shielding gas set up and your welds will be much cleaner and easier to form.  I'm using 75% Argon 25% CO2 

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

On 7/23/2018 at 10:13 AM, NickPickToo said:

We run cross country practice near by each morning will try to come by.   My granddad tells me that my grandmothers step dad was Joseph Frazer’s son, Robert. Indicates on Wikipedia that Joseph named the brand.  Not a direct blood relationship but a cool coincidence.

Correcting the record.  Visited my Grandpa the other day and asked more details.  Recollection of story was not clear only that Mr. Robert's dad, Joseph was involved in the automotive industry.  Robert passed away a long while back so no way to reconfirm the specific without more records.  However, my grandpa gave me a shaving cup that belonged to our Joseph Frazer (picture below).  I pointed out that we had the wrong Joseph in mind.  Our Joseph may have been involved in the auto industry, but he wasn't Joseph Washington Frazer ?.    I'm keeping the cup though because it's pretty cool

IMG_0675.jpg

4 hours ago, NickPick'sCrew said:

He also ran a 10:49 two mile this weekend (his personal best so far).  So quite the weekend for Nicholas ?

Dang, I'm happy just to do five miles in an hour...Good job Nick!

PS He is already making better welds than I ever did.

Nick.........looks like you are getting stuck into the car.........just a question tho'......even tho' it would have been a PITA would it have been a little easier to weld the patch pieces in with the chassis upside down?..............BTW not being critical as I am very impressed with where you are at so far, just a thought.................lol..........BTW..is that rust thru a result of salted roads?..............regards from Oz.....Andy Douglas 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Nick.........looks like you are getting stuck into the car.........just a question tho'......even tho' it would have been a PITA would it have been a little easier to weld the patch pieces in with the chassis upside down?..............BTW not being critical as I am very impressed with where you are at so far, just a thought.................lol..........BTW..is that rust thru a result of salted roads?..............regards from Oz.....Andy Douglas 

Agree completely that it would have been better to flip the chassis and weld straight down, but we still haven't broken down the back half and the wheels are providing the stability.  The body is still on the rotisserie too and it would be a bit before we could get enough friends together to switch it out.  So I just lifted the front end of the chassis up so I could work on it.

I didn't need to do any welding on my chassis, but since I couldn't afford to send it out to be sand blasted, and didn't have a blaster of my own at that time, I rolled the chassis outside, and winched it up against a sturdy fence post (to clean off the road tar, grease, etc).  Wheels, tires, everything still mounted.  I would have done in inside the shop, but didn't have room, and it was Summer, so no problem doing it outdoors.

3 hours ago, Eneto-55 said:

I didn't need to do any welding on my chassis, but since I couldn't afford to send it out to be sand blasted, and didn't have a blaster of my own at that time, I rolled the chassis outside, and winched it up against a sturdy fence post (to clean off the road tar, grease, etc).  Wheels, tires, everything still mounted.  I would have done in inside the shop, but didn't have room, and it was Summer, so no problem doing it outdoors.

Probably better off.  It’s like going to the beach and not getting a chance to shower off right away.  We’re rebuilding the front end and upgrading to disks so no issues there but I’m about to shift to the rear and hope it’s as simple as replacing the leaf springs and cleaning the drums but suspect we’ll be scooping sand out of the axle and differential too.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Completed:  Rear Suspension with new Leaf springs and Shocks.  First time so far that Im not just tearing down, but building up.  

Leaf springs from Eaton Detroit Spring.  Fit well and silent block included.  

Used rear bracket original to the Plymouth, but replaced grommets with Steele Rubber products  

Shocks from Kanter.

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

• Like 3

This thread is quite enjoyable. Thanks for keeping the progress posts coming. I am currently contemplating a similar project: How far I might go into my 1938 Plymouth. Like you, I'd plan to do the majority of the work myself. My Dad is not longer able to help me out. I'm the Dad these days and my kids grew up are already moved out! Guess I'l be Hans Solo and hack stuff up myself. Tooling is my first plan of attack. What size air compressor are you guys using? 220V? HP rating and tank capacity? I have my eye on a welder. I have a feeling I will be doing lots of test welds as you displayed as I plan to teach myself. I'll certainly be coming to this web site for advice as I move forward.

Then there's the financial decisions to make. The investment to rebuild almost everything, versus getting by with what you have, and repairing down the road as needed. The thrill to do it all, and the rewards that come with it, is certainly an attraction. Do it all now and front the cash? Or trickle along, enjoying each repair and driving the car as I go.

If I were your age @NickPickToo I'd see no reason to do it any other way, than the way you are. You hopefully have at least half a century to enjoy the fruits of your labor. You're doin' it right.

Cherish the time with your Dad. He's enjoying this project likely more you than you are. Congrats on the work so far. It's great to see another old Mopar preserved and destined for years of enjoyment.

• Thanks 1

Great work Nick............your work is an inspiration to all of us...........and to be honest you certainly put a smile on my face with every post......thanks, Andy Douglas 

good on you young man keep going and you will have a cool old car ,now several things MAKE SURE YOU USE EYE PROTECTION WITH GRINDERS and also eye protection with that por15 stuff its great stuff but toxic big time remember when working on anything you wear a respairator for your mouth and nose you need eye protection as well , enough of my rant take car and have fun with your car

• Thanks 1

Seeing that his thread is not quite 1 year old,  you already have huge experience, that's awesome!!!!!  I did a "frame off" on my P15 and it took much longer and I already had welding experience.  Looks like you're making all the right decisions.  And, your respect for family values is impressive.  Keep up the good work.   You're an inspiration for many of us struggling with our twilight years.

• Like 1