My First Car -- P15 1947 Plymouth Deluxe

NickPickToo
Go to solution Solved by kbuhagiar,

Nick, I love that you love it. Everybody here respects your opinion. I admit to being old enough to know better, but I also may just paint my truck black as it came from the factory.

I get a bit of a pass, I have a truck and if it is loaded with lumber and dirty at the same time, they not going to hit me as hard as a car with dirt on it  :D

Paint it pink if you want, one poster here used the chalkboard  paint so people could write on his car. I really like this idea.

The most important thing here, Take your time and enjoy the process. 

One thing I worry about, I see it happen to others, you get to be too much of a perfectionist, is going to cost money and project is delayed and eventually abandoned.

JUST GET ER DID! and then move on to the next project. ..... girls, they are often sneaky and sometimes a bigger project then first thought .... building a 32 ford coupe could be easier.

Keep us posted.

• Like 1

To DJ194950................Yes   You are correct.     Sometime in the 1970s I purchased a local car, a 1955 Chrysler Saratoga New Yorker two door hardtop which had those

wheels.     Removed them and replaced with original style steel rims.....then re-sold the Chrysler.   Would have been a nice car with quite a bit of work ..... had a hemi and

a continental kit spare, was two tone green and cream.  Have run those wire wheels ever since with no problems so far.

BobT

Wow those wires look great.!!

They were not cheap in nice condition even in  the 70's.

Do No want to even want to think about what a nice set would sell on Ebay now.

Maybe as much as your car would sell for without those wheels!

As they say there only original once as many do not want new lookalikes! The price goes up and up and up.....

BTW, You have a very, very nice car!!?

DJ

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2018 at 2:38 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

that body looks to have had some panel repair in the cowl section sometime earlier on in its life...or course, could just be the pictures themselves 

It’s difficult to see in the picture with all the “under coatney” but there is a lot of crumbling metal around the edge of the floor pans and the mounts are mostly shot.  Some sections are sandwiches of metal plates with crumble in the middle.  

Edited by NickPickToo

Engine and Transmission separated.   Caked with grunge.  It was driving well before we started so don't expect to do much here except inspect, clean and paint.  At least I hope.

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

Edited by NickPickToo

Hi Nick,

Happy New Year

I have been on here awhile and  just stumbled upon this thread and will be following your progress. By the way... BLACK IS INDEED BEATIFUL!!!

IMG_0302.JPG

• Like 1

Not so bad, just dirty.  Pad not quite to the rivets and no scaring on the pressure plate.  We initially disconnected the full assembly with the flywheel because that was the most visibly clear path given all the gunk.  There were no class two or three leaks around the seals that we noticed (trans or engine), but that could change when we get all the old coagulated grime cleaned up.  It was a good day of learning for Nicholas (and me).  The parts and service manuals were invaluable -- thanks to those who recommended.

IMG_0514.jpg

On 1/1/2019 at 5:59 PM, NickPickToo said:

the clutch is a bit too clean -- missing something

IMG_0511.jpg

Sumbodie needs a flywheel ground flat.

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2018 at 8:11 AM, NickPickToo said:

It’s difficult to see in the picture with all the “under coatney” but there is a lot of crumbling metal around the edge of the floor pans and the mounts are mostly shot.  Some sections are sandwiches of metal plates with crumble in the middle.  

"Crumble in the middle"

Probably the best description of crap repairs I have ever seen in my life. NOTHING describes the results better than "crumble in the middle".

Hey, Nick! Just ran across this thread. You're making good headway. I understand how hard it is to pick a color. I've had a '54 Ford Customline in my shop waiting on a color choice for almost 10 years. It's frustrating to have a car within a week or so of being on the road and still be unable to make a color decision. Then again, I'm usually busy with paying jobs and I'm easily distracted.. ?

4 hours ago, MackTheFinger said:

Hey, Nick! Just ran across this thread. You're making good headway. I understand how hard it is to pick a color. I've had a '54 Ford Customline in my shop waiting on a color choice for almost 10 years. It's frustrating to have a car within a week or so of being on the road and still be unable to make a color decision. Then again, I'm usually busy with paying jobs and I'm easily distracted.. ?

The good thing about paint colors is that it is easy to change them.