My First Car -- P15 1947 Plymouth Deluxe

NickPickToo
Go to solution Solved by kbuhagiar,

8 hours ago, Andydodge said:

.........any decisions on the final paint and/or interior paint accents?.

I’m thinking midnight black but not certain.  Also like the gun metal black look.   Dad suggested a two tone similar to the seats but I’m not seeing it.   I’m pretty sure now that the original color was a dark green (I think called Kenwood green) 

open to thoughts from the group but leaning towards the midnight black?  

Again going with brown and tan interior cloth a rose gold with chrome (powder coated) interior trim and staying with the exterior stainless which is cleaning up well and thinking rally red for the wheels. 

Thoughts on colors?

2 hours ago, NickPickToo said:

I’m thinking midnight black but not certain.  Also like the gun metal black look.   Dad suggested a two tone similar to the seats but I’m not seeing it.   I’m pretty sure now that the original color was a dark green (I think called Kenwood green) 

open to thoughts from the group but leaning towards the midnight black?  

Again going with brown and tan interior cloth a rose gold with chrome (powder coated) interior trim and staying with the exterior stainless which is cleaning up well and thinking rally red for the wheels. 

Thoughts on colors?

Black not only gets the car VERY hot when the sun is shining on it in the summer,but it makes the tiniest flaw in the paint look like a hole you could fall into,and it is damn near impossible to keep as much black sheet metal as you have clean and polished. I would rather spend my time driving than washing and waxing,but then again I am a LOT older than you and am not as limber as I used to be. Some days I can't even bend over without falling down.

2 hours ago, casper50 said:

Black will show the most flaws in the bodywork.  Other than that I like black.  I went for a dark green on mine. It can look blackish in the sunlight.

IMG_1869.jpg

That is a sharp looking color, I really like that.

Just a thought to throw out for color selection. My truck is originally black. I kinda lean to repainting it black for that reason, although I do like black.

What worries me is the temperature in summer time, the cab is going to be like a oven in summertime when you want to cruise the most.

Therefore I am going with a two tone with a different color on top, will be only slightly less of a oven but every bit counts.

Possible in the op's location this is not a big deal.

And then like Knuckle says, black shows the flaws and the dirt.

• Like 1

I like that. Years ago I bought my wife a camaro that had a similar style paint.

It was pretty cool how it would change colors depending on the light.

It really was closer to a rootbeer brown, then looked like gun metal gray or it actually looked black.

Was one of those things the guys at work use to get a kick out of it. During the day as the sun moved across the sky, different lighting it changed colors.

I really liked that car when I bought it, factory 6 cylinder with a 3 on the floor trans, never really beat on to hard, had  nice interior & custom paint.

That car was hit 3 times in 6 months, and none of the others had car insurance. I sold it :(

I have never really wanted a car with "special paint" since.

Not to hammer the point too much, but....Black is absolutely GORGEOUS when done correctly, and it looks GREAT...for the first five minutes after the car has been washed and detailed.

Black is like a dust magnet - every little thing shows up. My first car, a 1968 Cougar, had an incredible black lacquer paint job, and looked stunning, especially with the chrome Cragar wheels, but the amount of effort it took to keep it looking nice was overwhelming.

That was my first - and last - black paint job.

Hey Nick,

Thought I'd chime in on your color. I like black or red. That being said, there are a lot of cars that color out there. Instead of being one of many you might go for a green or yellow. I think it makes these cars stand out. Now while I haven't had mine done yet, I think when I do I'll stick with something close to what I have now.  The clear coat is flaking but look at the door and you will see what I mean.

48 07.jpg

Edited by soth122003

6 hours ago, NickPickToo said:

rally red for the wheels. 

What ever color for the body you chose, I believe wheel colors need to be red.

Everyone on this forum ?loves them!!   

DJ

• Confused 1

Well that post of mine was Mainly referring to just one well known member on the forum but it appears I pushed many buttons with this. 

No harm intended!!  ??

DJ

• Thanks 1

Well to be honest I personally do not like red wheels on most cars.

Way to overdone on older cars that end up really looking like they are just following the crowd.  But on the other hand you own it, do what you want!

A few do look good To Me with them.

Same with nice cars that are black with bright red interiors! Way to much to often.

Just my own opinion!

DJ

• Thanks 1

There is a website called "carnut.com" by a guy who has gone to many car shows and photographed lots of old cars...many of them customs.  There are many

colors of paint to see on these non original vehicles.  The more varieties you see.....may help you decide what color you like best.   There are cars listed by make and

year on that site.                http://carnut.com/           Plymouth section:        http://carnut.com/photo/list/ply40.html

Edited by BobT-47P15

13 hours ago, BobT-47P15 said:

Of course I like yellow,,,,but it probably would not look so good on a sedan.   

If you do black.....perhaps medium grey or medium tan rims with wheel trim rings.

Miami%20OK%20show%2010-17-10%20069.jpg

Who would argue with Chrysler original chrome wires on any Mopar of the era??!!!

If that is what I see in this pic.? Sure appears to be so.

DJ

• Like 1

No offense meant to those of you who have gained the experience that has resulted in such great wisdom, but at my age I’m thinking in some cases gaining the experience  is going to be so much more fun than relaying on the wisdom.  Also thinking that if I ever want to enjoy the pleasure of owning a beautiful black beast that I’d better do it while I’m young enough to keep up the effort to keep it shining ?   That said I do like being different so I’m not sure what to do now and regretting that I asked.

Wasn't  there not a movie about- "Black Is Beautiful"  - ??

Do not remember if it was about cars or not!  ?

DJ

Nick,

No offense taken - at least certainly not by me. Our opinions are just that - opinions.

Your preference is all that matters, the car will be beautiful in black.

Go for it - just post lots of pictures!

Edited by kbuhagiar
  • Thanks 1

Nick..........whatever opinions and suggestions we offer I for one would hope that you take all on board and make your own mind up taking into account your skills, interests, knowledge and experience because it is your car and I sincerely hope that you enjoy the experience...........as we all have in gaining our experience...........personally I think that its great that you are getting stuck into this car and I really do enjoy your posts and story on what you are doing.......keep up the good work, best wishes from Oz......Andyd .

• Like 1

A well done black paint-job will look awesome cruising up and down Woodward during the Dream Cruise.  You'll only "have to" keep it clean for that event, when you cruise your local Big Boy, or go on a date - because you'll be attracting some attention...;)  (When we lived in Port Huron, MI, I noticed that every single Big Boy restaurant had a cruise night, coordinated so adjacent ones didn't have their cruise on the same night.  You could cruise a Big Boy somewhere every night of the week.  We left in 2008, I assume - rather hope - they're still doing those.  Lots of fun.) 

• Thanks 1