My First Car -- P15 1947 Plymouth Deluxe

NickPickToo
Go to solution Solved by kbuhagiar,

15 minutes ago, NickPick'sCrew said:

There is a real budget and its fixed -- but think of it as paying for an education vs. getting the cheapest ride.  Yes, we saw other cleaner cars, daily driver ready -- but he wouldn't have learned nearly as much nor would he have gained nearly as much self confidence in the process.

Not to mention that this beautiful old car will likely be around another 70+ year once were done

• Like 1

On 11/3/2018 at 4:30 PM, NickPickToo said:

Engine of frame today.  We will take frame in for sandblasting before rebuilding suspension and changing out the brakes.  Will take this opportunity to clean up the engine on its outside as well.

IMG_0021.jpeg

IMG_0019.jpeg

IMG_0026.jpeg

Nick,

Nice progress.

Keep up the good work!

4 hours ago, dale said:

My experience says you had better double the budget..

Dad says he’ll take the under and you can have the over.  Loser pays the difference to the winner.   Be careful my moms a real budget hawk and Dad has a way of finding volunteer engineers to walk me through what I need to know.  

Its the small stuff that runs up the bill...How is the gas tank ? If the car is going to be reliable Id suggest replacing all the things that could go wrong like a new fuel pump, water pump, rebuild carb, have the distributor checked out,  starter overhaul,    clutch and pressure plate and release bearing is probably not too good, fuel sender unit.  Radiator and heater core OK  ?  Converting to 12 volt doesn't really cost much, new 12 volt battery and I suggest a one wire altinator which will avoid a ton of wiring and voltage regulator problems.  You can just reverse the wires on the fuel gauge with the negative ground.  Six volt starter is ok to keep.

• 3 weeks later...

that will buff out easy enough...…..I see you are prepared for a complete tear down based on the decision to send out for blasting...the sand gets everywhere...seals don't seen to always keep it out....and if  you have rolled the chassis with sand in the wrong place..you may have already done some cutting of polished seal contact are...if so. remember one thing..speedy sleeve..

• Like 1

But all the "patina" was removed!  ?

DJ

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

But all the "patina" was removed!  ?

DJ

I do love me some patina too. But making this a daily driver and hope to be drivin it for a while. Here on these Michigan roads would like to start with a really clean and freshly sealed up underside.   Perhaps some of the patina on the body can survive ?

• Sad 1

I used to wear an overCoatney in winter but seeing as we really don't have winter in South Grafton I can send my overCoatney to those that need it........lol.............andyd

2 minutes ago, Don Coatney said:

Many folks here have not been hear long enough to know what under-coatney is.

So my 47 came out of Indiana and had a familiar blue paint on the engine that I swear looks familiar to some posts you’ve put up Mr Coatney.   highly likely I could have just had some under-Coatney blasted off this beautiful beast?  ? ?

Sorry but this "under Coatney"  conjures up too many awful pictures in my head to want to think about it anymore.!!   ??

Done!

DJ 

1 hour ago, Don Coatney said:

Many folks here have not been hear long enough to know what under-coatney is.

Have to agree, was several cars I drove, was simply the under-coatney that held it together and on the road.

I really think all should pay attention here .... never leave home without your  under-coatney!

I  think I can sense a business opportunity here, leasing Don's undercoatney to those wishing to have one.............Don?.............what are you worth?..............if like me, never free but often cheap, we might be able to make a living here..............lol.............o/k.........I'll go back in my corner now...........lol.................andyd

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NickPickToo said:

Christmas came early!  Seats look really nice.  Cant wait to I'm putting this back together.

They look a lot better than merely "nice". Do you mind telling us what it cost to get both seats covered?

Very nice upholstery indeed........the colours are such that they should tone with a number of paint colours..........any decisions on the final paint and/or interior paint accents?.........BTW....that rust hole on the bottom of the front crossmember, is that the result of salt on the winter roads?.........is it rusted elsewhere on the chassis or crossmembers?.......... ..andyd

5 hours ago, Andydodge said:

..BTW....that rust hole on the bottom of the front crossmember, is that the result of salt on the winter roads?.........is it rusted elsewhere on the chassis or crossmembers?.......... ..andyd

That looks to be the only hole or soft spot in the frame.  The rest of the frame looks to be really solid and cleaned up well.    Dad and I start rebuilding the front suspension this month and we’re fingers crossed that the hole can be patched and sealed without compromising “structural integrity”  as he says.  

8 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

They look a lot better than merely "nice". Do you mind telling us what it cost to get both seats covered?

Material is hides from a leather wholesaler. $2.99 per sqr foot.  www.4hides.com.   Labor is local shop as mom doesn’t have a machine that can sew the thicker material.  Dad said upholstery work is not cheap so don’t be messy and merry Christmas.  I don’t think I’m getting much else under the tree thes year except some cans of POR-15 etc.   oh and a pair of bumpers we’re finally picking up this weekend.