My First Car -- P15 1947 Plymouth Deluxe

NickPickToo
Go to solution Solved by kbuhagiar,

On 8/24/2018 at 8:49 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

the is absolutely NO SUBSTITUTE for good tools.......!!!!!!!!!

There are times when I honestly think I buy old cars to give me an excuse to buy tools.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2018 at 9:37 PM, NickPickToo said:

Ha. My dad is using this project as an excuse to restock his garage and toolbox. My mom doesn't like it because its taking up her parking spot but its not my problem! ?

Here is a very helpful little tech tip for you. NEVER let your mother learn you said that. Females do not seem to have a sense of humor about that sort of thing.

• Thanks 1

I am in the process of modifying a larger shop tool for special application and am almost completed....nothing elaborate or complex but yet a bit of time is always involved in the project.   I recalled that the closest yard to me had a couple item of interest to finish out the job now that I discovered my favorite machine closed and I can no longer pick scrap off the floor for my small job fabrication needs.  Over 100 years in business....not certain but my son knew the guys a bit better than I and figures the elderly owner passed away and family may just want to do a quick sale of the premises.  oh.....I was able to get the item from the local yard at a very fair price....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

43 minutes ago, NickPickToo said:

IMG_0318.jpg.e5dfb83e46eb66f9412b056ae800542f.jpg

Before and After shot of the front stainless trim.  Was originally painted black but cleaned up really nicely in the stripper.   Any tips on polishing?

Check out the Eastwood catalogue online for special little hammers you can use for knocking dings out of stainless trim.  Very handy things to have.  They have other stuff,too.

knuckle....I cannot find the tool of which you speak that are of shape and size for working the lighter gauge metals that is the metal trim on the car......perhaps you have a direct link....I have looked numerous times and various places for such tools...I know they have to be out there...but my normal go-to places are failing to fill the bill...thanks

14 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

knuckle....I cannot find the tool of which you speak that are of shape and size for working the lighter gauge metals that is the metal trim on the car......perhaps you have a direct link....I have looked numerous times and various places for such tools...I know they have to be out there...but my normal go-to places are failing to fill the bill...thanks

https://www.eastwood.com/trim-hammer.html

Here is one of them. Do a search there using "trim hammer" as the keywords.

Here is a handly little trim anvil.

https://www.eastwood.com/ew-trim-anvil-with-stand.html

Edited by knuckleharley

36 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

thanks knuckle...I was on their website just before my earlier post and used all sets of descriptors with "trim" as the prevalent word....NOTHING  was returned but their interior trim tool sets for removing items from the car......again...appreciate the links...

Yeah,hammer was the key word here,and you are welcome.

BTW,I have both the hammer and the anvil,and they are very nice.

Bought a bunch of grille parts for a Ply. 47 off Ebay sometimes 2 big pieces for $35 and most of the time $35 for one with free shipping. Easier that a lot of straightening. The center grille parts where by far the highest cost up to $90.

Many still needed the 600 wet sanding and then polishing on a Harbor Freight $40 buffer. The 2 buffing wheels and 4 different  buffing rouges cost almost as much!  But did work great. Still have at least half usable buff wheels and rouge left and buffer was used for many additional car parts!

Just takes time and a black mess of cotton and rouge on you and the buff area! ?

Well worth the time,mess and trouble.

DJ

2 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

Size comparison is correct. However these days not many folks still use the diskette. 

I have read about this things you call a diskette.  Was that an original feature in these old cars?

Edited by NickPickToo
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NickPickToo said:

I have read about this things you call a diskette.  Was that an original feature in these old cars?

4 minutes ago, NickPickToo said:

Only for a short while. Male customers weren't too fond of telling people they have a floppy disc,and the female customers were making rude comments and laughing hysterically.

3 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

Size comparison is correct. However these days not many folks still use the diskette. 

I would have looked for a "real" floppy disk, the 5 1/4" ones, but I know that I threw them all out a long time ago.  (I used to work in a place where we sold the 8 & 12 inch ones, too.)  I knew what you put it there for - just trying to make a joke.

On 8/27/2018 at 7:26 PM, Don Coatney said:

Here is a nice little hammer and anvil.

ha3.jpg

There used to be an even neater and smaller one in the Monopoly game set!

Hello:

This reply directed to 48Ply1stCar. I know  this may be somewhat  'off-subject' at this point in thread, but I haven't been able to get back to thread sooner. I noticed you were able to identify engine size and year NickPicksToo project car. I will be looking at 1950 Ply Deluxe coupe (P19) soon. Ad states org engine goes w/car loose. 1953 engine in supposed to be in vehicle. Don't have any engine block numbers at this time for either engine, but when I do, is there a reference I can go to find this inf? Thank you in advance.

John