My First Car -- P15 1947 Plymouth Deluxe

NickPickToo
Go to solution Solved by kbuhagiar,

Dad has me stopping along the way to clean up.  Says it makes the job more enjoyable and easier along the way if you keep the worksite cleaned up.  He’s keeping me to half the garage too (we have two stalls.  Says if I sprall I’ll get sloppy. 

F2D1E821-7DBB-4DAA-9253-C127E0752D35.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NickPickToo said:

Got the front fenders off. Again outside so pretty but underneath...

DC9B8938-131E-4FE5-B731-1BF531992BAB.jpeg

I would call that more "typical" than bad. Doesn't even look to be thin.

1 hour ago, NickPickToo said:

Dad has me stopping along the way to clean up.  Says it makes the job more enjoyable and easier along the way if you keep the worksite cleaned up.  He’s keeping me to half the garage too (we have two stalls.  Says if I sprall I’ll get sloppy. 

F2D1E821-7DBB-4DAA-9253-C127E0752D35.jpeg

He's right. I also recommend you start fixing stuff as you take it apart. This includes priming and making ready for paint and sending your chrome off to the chrome shop a year before you need it. That way there is no danger of having a completely disassembled car with hundreds of random parts laying around that need to be redone,and getting overwhelmed.

For example,pull the front clip and get it all blasted,repaired,and ready for a final scuff and wipe down before the color goes on. This is a good time to make an inventory of all the crhome you are going to be sending off to the chrome shop,along with photos of it, You can also redo the headlight buckets,blast and paint the bumper braces,etc,etc,etc. When you get all that done,pull the engine and trans,and start working on the firewall,floors,and doors. Don't start on something else until you have finished repairing and prepping what you have already pulled.

Make notes of what you need to buy as you pull it apart and work on it. Include little stuff like new gaskets for the parking lights,new parking light lenses,etc,etc,etc. Put the bolts you pull from the fenders in bags with seals and mark them as being from the front fenders,bumper brackes,hood hinges,radiator,etc,etc,etc. You will be glad you did later.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

This is a good time to make an inventory of all the crhome...

Have you seen the price chrome shops are charging.  Holy cow. Almost tempted to go with powder coating except the chrome is so beautiful ? 

Knuckleharley I Understand all your saying but need to get this down to the frame and build back up.  Maybe not logical but just feel compelled to.  This car is telling me to.  It deserves to have every inch of it de-rusted.  Call it a compulsion but it’s got to happen.   Cost is important but even with that it will happen.  This car will glisten again.  Top to bottom

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NickPickToo said:

Not so many bolts to take out as last person to work on this welds the fenders in place.   I had to cut the welds out.   Also had to cut a few stubbern bolts. 

A05DF029-7165-4683-9EDA-FF367DEE65A9.jpeg

He's getting less skittish about strong handling the bolts and cutting into a little metal.  Still has a need to see the bolt to turn it, but his touch will come.  

44 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

the is absolutely NO SUBSTITUTE for good tools.......!!!!!!!!!

Ha. My dad is using this project as an excuse to restock his garage and toolbox. My mom doesn't like it because its taking up her parking spot but its not my problem! ?

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, NickPickToo said:

IMG_0318.jpg.e5dfb83e46eb66f9412b056ae800542f.jpg

Before and After shot of the front stainless trim.  Was originally painted black but cleaned up really nicely in the stripper.   Any tips on polishing?

Nice Job, Nick, looks like a bit of time and patience is worth the effort.

Glad to see that the grill trim is in such nice shape.

Regarding polishing, I have had success with a product called Simichrome on stainless steel trim, but I'm sure others will chime in with better suggestions.

Edited by kbuhagiar