My First Car -- P15 1947 Plymouth Deluxe

NickPickToo
Go to solution Solved by kbuhagiar,

Nick regarding the chassis upgrade choices.........with the independant front end that mopars have already installing another suspension system such as a Mustang 11, Jag , Corvette or aftermarket system is a little more complicated than say on a late 30's/40's Frod or GM product as their chassis's are essentially straight forward from the firweall which makes installation of a different sysytem a little easier............our Mopar chassis forward of the firewall has all the suspension bracketry, spring pockets etc that need to be removed THEN a pair of straight chassis rails installed and only then the various aftermarket or whatever bolt/weld in suspension units installed........its doable but in reality a much more complicated job..............the mopar front end properly rebuilt with new bushes & pins with disc brakes installed and possibly a Cavalier rack or later model steering box or just a rebuilt original will be more than a great riding, handling and stopping car............my own 1940 Dodge has a 318 Poly V8, auto, 4wheel discs, rack & pinion steering etc, etc and has been more or less like this since the mid 1970's and is still going strong so these cars are worth perservering with...............you asked about welding and hiring the welding gear............I would NOT recommend this arrangement as I can see it getting very expensive very quickly..........I started off with an Oxy set and did a part time welding course at the local Tech college then got a stick welder as a Xmas present and taught myself to use that, this was the early 70's when MIG's were much more expensive than today...........I'd still suggest trying to get hold of an Oxy set as there are a lot of things you can do using Oxy once you are good with it and part from welding you can learn to Metal finish/panel beat and that is a skill to be proud of........but whatever you decide thats fine as its good to be involved and enjoy working on your car...........have you got any pics you can post as we'd all like to see what you have......regards from Oz.......Andy Douglas  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Andydodge said:

the mopar front end properly rebuilt with new bushes & pins with disc brakes installed and possibly a Cavalier rack or later model steering box or just a rebuilt original will be more than a great riding, handling and stopping car.............you asked about welding and hiring the welding gear............I would NOT recommend this arrangement as I can see it getting very expensive very quickly..........I started off with an Oxy set and did a part time welding course at the local Tech college then got a stick welder as a Xmas present and taught myself to use that, this was the early 70's when MIG's were much more expensive than today...........I'd still suggest trying to get hold of an Oxy set as there are a lot of things you can do using Oxy once you are good with it and part from welding you can learn to Metal finish/panel beat and that is a skill to be proud of........but whatever you decide thats fine as its good to be involved and enjoy working on your car...........have you got any pics you can post as we'd all like to see what you have......regards from Oz.......Andy Douglas  

Thank  you -- my dad and I discussed and we plan to rebuild and keep the original suspension.  looks like most of the hard work will be floor panels and floor brackets -- we live close to the plymouth doctor so finding that should be ok -- was thinking the same thing -- learning to do some basic welding would be fun.  Pics soon 

2 hours ago, NickPickToo said:

Thank  you -- my dad and I discussed and we plan to rebuild and keep the original suspension.  looks like most of the hard work will be floor panels and floor brackets -- we live close to the plymouth doctor so finding that should be ok -- was thinking the same thing -- learning to do some basic welding would be fun.  Pics soon 

It is fun when you have an experienced pro teaching you how to do it right. Learning to weld on your own is one of the most frustrating things to try to learn. LOTS of people are self-taught including me,but I sure wish I had taken classes instead of burning up enough steel to build a battleship first.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Interior actually looked in good shape before we Started but we took it out anyway.  Good thing as there is surface rust in a number of places that would have been trouble down the road.   Learning a lot about how this was put together.  

354AD877-8442-4337-ADED-C684FAC1D550.jpeg

What to do?   There are replacement tubes and fuses for the radio that were in the glove box.  Im pretty sure I could fix this.  But that radio housing has a lot of room — almost as big as a mini computer case.   It could easily house a blue tooth audio setup.

CF6E9E15-CB12-4233-908D-8BC6F0589B1D.jpeg

What you have there is called a CHICK MAGNET. Your going to have to beat them off with a stick. Just make sure the inside smells nice (not like rat sh*t) and your good to go. The seats are big and comfortable for some serious “hand holding” ?. Godspeed young man! I look forward to you getting it on the road.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, casper50 said:

there are people that can make it an AM/FM/bluetooth radio for about $300.  

built and sold a few  computers in junior high. I actually have some ideas on how to make it for cheaper — lots of room in there — almost could fit a scaled back Xbox in that thing

Edited by NickPickToo
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, tom'sB2B said:

What you have there is called a CHICK MAGNET. Your going to have to beat them off with a stick. Just make sure the inside smells nice (not like rat sh*t) and your good to go. The seats are big and comfortable for some serious “hand holding” ?. Godspeed young man! I look forward to you getting it on the road.

There was what looked like a rats nest in the back seat springs