Starter for ‘47 Plymouth special deluxe

cerick305

My starter quit working, took it out and basically there’s a short somewhere. Cleaned rhe brushes and rest, and still the same.  Looking into a rebuild kit but moving more to a replacement because I don’t like skimping on starting and stopping..  Anyone have suggestions where to get either?

7 hours ago, cerick305 said:

My starter quit working, took it out and basically there’s a short somewhere. Cleaned rhe brushes and rest, and still the same.  Looking into a rebuild kit but moving more to a replacement because I don’t like skimping on starting and stopping..  Anyone have suggestions where to get either?

If it were me,I would take it to a local starter,alternator,and generator rebuild shop and let them do it. I had a flat 6 Ford starter rebuilt locally after the armature got so hot it shorted out thanks to the previous owner wire-wheeling all the varnish off the armature to "clean the starter". Cost me 96 bucks for a new armature,new brushes,new bushings,and taxes. Works like a charm and came with a local warranty.

Plus you are spending your money locally to help keep independent repair shops open where you live,not in China.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased a used starter same model number as my old original on the word that it does work.   Before I decide to put it in the car, I hooked it up to a my 6volt  car battery. Positive for ground and negative on the starter screw terminal.  Nothing happened, no turning, no vibrating, nothing.  I am assuming this replacement starter is also no good.  Am I missing something?

23 minutes ago, cerick305 said:

I purchased a used starter same model number as my old original on the word that it does work.   Before I decide to put it in the car, I hooked it up to a my 6volt  car battery. Positive for ground and negative on the starter screw terminal.  Nothing happened, no turning, no vibrating, nothing.  I am assuming this replacement starter is also no good.  Am I missing something?

Unless I misunderstood what you wrote,you need to attach a jumper on one of your contacts,and then strike it against the other contact to complete the connection.

I usually just use jumper cables and clamp one on the starter terminal,and then strike the other against the part where the mounting holes are on the rear.

In other words,you have an open circuit and need to complete it.

Edited by knuckleharley

4 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Unless I misunderstood what you wrote,you need to attach a jumper on one of your contacts,and then strike it against the other contact to complete the connection.

I usually just use jumper cables and clamp one on the starter terminal,and then strike the other against the part where the mounting holes are on the rear.

In other words,you have an open circuit and need to complete it.

Correct, I used a jumper from  battery (negative) to terminal then striked jumper from  battery (positive) to mounting holes on starter. 

• 2 months later...

You are correct.  The motor should spin.  I just connected jumper cables from my battery directly to the starter.  Since it is positive ground, the red cable should connect to the body of the starter motor, and then the last connection was to TAP the negative wire to the terminal that sticks out of the side that the battery cable connects to.  The motor should spin freely since there is no load.