Bad Reproduction Fender Stone Guards on Ebay

linus6948

I have been looking for a set of rear fender stone guards for my 48 D24 coupe literally for years, I mainly do my searching on ebay.  Last month a set of what appeared to be NOS showed up being offered for $799.99. This was way out of my reach but I kept my eye on the vendor and within a week or so I saw several sets offered by the same vendor for $299.99 a set, still out of my reach but I was intrigued at how something almost never seen for sale was now abundant.

I figured this vendor must have happened upon the "mother-lode" of NOS rear fender guards and I kept watching their listings. Then I saw him run two sets at the same time as auctions starting at 99c opening bid. So now I was in the running to get me a set of these long coveted stone guards. Well I won the auction for $137.50 and was pretty stoked, the Wife was not as pleased but she eventually forgave me.

The box arrived and looked fine, no damage or Postal handling "scars" and I opened it to find the two guards thrown in with just some brown paper and hunks of torn cardboard as padding. I was a little surprised at the careless and haphazard packing but I was shocked and disgusted by what I had been shipped by this vendor. I was sent a set of very badly made brandnew "chinese-appearing" re-pops that were almost laughable in how badly they were made.

Besides the crude manufacturing process they were deeply scratched and one had an outward dimple like it had been shot with a BB gun. The mounting studs were all in different places from one to the other like they had been made in the dark by a blind man.

I checked his auction listing and this vendor accepts no returns for any reason whatsoever. Fortunately that is not how ebay works and after contacting them and providing pictures it looks like I will be getting my money back. Here are some of the pictures and the link to one of these bogus ebay listings.

Listing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/46-47-48-PLYMOUTH-GRAVEL-SHIELDS-MOPAR-SPECIAL-DELUXE-DESOTO-S11-CHRYSLER-C39/183287609721?_trkparms=aid%3D777003%26algo%3DDISCL.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D52885%26meid%3D24daa6bd563c460aba6af17dba9fffd1%26pid%3D100012%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D183311213129%26itm%3D183287609721&_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985

guard.jpg

Edited by linus6948

24 minutes ago, garbagestate 44 said:

Yeah, He sure is.

Ok,so who is it? Don't keep this a secret.

Neil riddle sells early mopar parts on eBay and also has a eBay store called old Plymouth cafe. He's helped me so much to get the right parts and set me straight about off shore parts. I bought some non OEM gravel guards and they were junk and he showed me how to I.d. The good stuff he's out of Seattle and is a wealth of info

• Like 1

Go to the "resolution center" at the bottom of any eBay page.

Open a return case for item not as described.

Oopsie. Did not read all. You already did the correct thing.

Edited by _shel_ny

He apparently has some parts re-made.  I bought two clear plastic pieces for a 47 Plymouth hood ornament from him at different times, for two different (but reasonable)

prices.  The quality is pretty good on those.  But.....some folks on this forum are acquainted with the owner of that company.  No further comments. 

Yes, talking with Neil Riddle would be a good thing.   Might try Len Dawson at Deception Pass Motor Parts in Washington state...…….  http://www.dpmotorparts.com/inventory_4_a.cfm

3 hours ago, JOHN EDGE said:

Neil riddle sells early mopar parts on eBay and also has a eBay store called old Plymouth cafe. He's helped me so much to get the right parts and set me straight about off shore parts. I bought some non OEM gravel guards and they were junk and he showed me how to I.d. The good stuff he's out of Seattle and is a wealth of info

I can't find his web page or his ebay store. Could you post a link?

seaplym is his name on Ebay.... Ph # 206-285-6534

38 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

seaplym is his name on Ebay.... Ph # 206-285-6534

Thanks! I bought some stuff from him a few years back and was happy with everything.

I'm confused.  Who sold the bad stone guards?  Was it Neil Riddle or some unnamed former denizen of this forum, and we're supposed to know who without saying his name?  Maybe we should not say his name, if we're dissiing him.   

I'm guessing that the perveyor of the unacceptable stone guards remained unnamed, while someone else chimed in that Neill Riddle only deals in the good stuff.  And the rest of the thread has been speaking well of Neill. 

Edited by DonaldSmith
Capitalize Riddle

Neil Riddle is not associated vintageamericanautoparts.

Thank goodness for that!?

vintageamericanautoparts is the seller of the Chinese stone shields. He is having the Mongolian Desert Chinese factories make several items now.

However I understand Donald Smiths confusion although I am pretty sure I know who is referred to as the perveyor of the poor quality parts but I can't remember his name but the Farmingdale NY address in the ebay advert is the same that this guy was from.......didn't he originally come to fame due to his  discussions/arguements  regarding whether various Plymouth heads should have had "P" cast into them or something along these lines..............not withstanding libel laws I don't understand why his name isn't mentioned...........he also had  or was restoring a 46-48 Plymouth 4dr sedan from memory wasn't he?....................Andy Douglas.  

• Like 3

The person Is based in NY and also is selling alot repo gas tanks and he had a dodge coupe that was a ground up resto several years ago.  so you might figure out this person by these clues.

New guy here, and I am going to speak up, if it gets me kicked off this forum then I will have to live with it. Back on May 20th I posted that I was in the market to buy new wheel cylinders for my Dodge, the folks that got back to me just posted "don't buy any Chinese junk". And while I very much appreciated people getting back to me it would have been nice to know who this ebay seller was/is at the time. Most of us are not made of money and I am thinking this ebay seller who ever he/she is might have got hard earned money from some folks for junk. I understand the legality issues with posting a ebay sellers name and saying they take peoples money and sending them junk, a word of caution with a slight hint of who it might be very helpful for those who do not know any better. I am happy to see the buyer of the stone guards was able to get his money back, but the next person may not get so lucky. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

I also don't understand the reluctance to release info.  AFAIK, there is no liability attached to the truth.  If I say " i bought x from y and it is not as described", and post a pic that is the truth and is not in violation of any laws.  But, If I should editorialize, and add 'he is a crook, can't be trusted, always lies", etc, that would be possibly libelous and may result in some legal diffculties.

Truth, facts, simple recitation of events is fine, and a service to the others here.  JMHO.

• Like 2

This person most likely is still a member on this forum although now he only pops up here and there and things have been said in the past that the posters may have taken some heat for the posts??

Do not know anything for sure.

DJ

Would those poor quality stone shields be satisfactory to all at $100.00 for a set?

At least the seller and the Chinese made an effort to get something produced that's in demand! Ha ha

Now turn this all around...a person had the  1946-48 Chrysler Swan neck mirrors made up... real nice and $1700.00 for a pair.

....and he is selling them... a customer of mine bought a set. They look and fit nice.

I did not want to comment and held off for some time....few things of note....first, the ad clearly shows the dimples where the studs are attached and the not so patterned placement of said studs, Second, stud location can be a problem for fenders already prepped for said shields.  If new install the holes will be drilled where needed...use a paper transfer.  Third option is to just accept your car being produced, sold and later acquired by yourself without the shields.  4TH, commission a run these yourself with the supplier of your choice.    But then I usually see things different than many others.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1