Timing

I was going to time my truck and got it to 2 degrees advanced but it is all the way retarded. I had to loosen the bolt.on the bottom and fully retard it to get to it. Now could the timing chain be out of wak for it to be that way. Wasn't sure if I wanted to take that all apart to find out. 

Could timing chain moved 1 tooth. A buddy of mine said to move my spark plug wires on distributor 1 over to get more movement. It runs but not very good when it is that retarded. I think I have asked this question before but can't find it. 

Plus I did a compression test the other day found out I had been doing it wrong. Anyways they are between 96 pounds and 98 pounds. What do you all think of that? 

This truck of mine is so close to leaving the garage and me being able to drive it around. Slowly but around. The split rims on it are pretty out of round. One of the back rims if it did get weights would have needed 13 oz got one of front ones good the other needed 6 oz and is now good. Would love to find new rims for it. Anyone no where you can find new rims that aren't split rims for it?

Edited by bambamshere

10 hours ago, bambamshere said:

"I had to loosen the bolt.on the bottom....."

On the distributor? Did you loosen both the minor and major adjustment bolts?

I am a fan of using a vacuum gauge also. 

You may have broken advance weight springs that puts it into full advance even at idle. When things are good you should be able to twist the rotor, towards the advanced position, and the springs will return it to it's base position when you let go. If you can twist the rotor back and forth several degrees without any spring resistance that would indicate failed advance mechanism. 

Quick and easy check. Pop the cap off, grab the rotor and give it a twist. If it rotates a few degrees and snaps back all is good. If you can rotate it back and forth without any spring resistance you will need to pull the distributor and dig into it a bit deeper. The advance weights are under the breaker plate.

The Pertonix only replaces the points setup. You still have a rotor. It's the piece that goes on top of the shaft to connect the coil wire terminal to each spark plug terminal as the shaft spins. 

Under the plate where your Pertronix module is mounted is the advance weight assembly.

• Thanks 1