what are the rules cruise in/ car shows

I’m admitting, I don’t have the best looking rides or the most popular. I go to the car shows to BS with others and maybe get a dash plaque ….. I don’t want awards or anything…. I am just there to chill and represent the “B” series here locally.

With that said, I did spend the last few weeks cleaning up the B4D, wet sanded the rust, took off the running boards and cleaned them up etc. mainly because people keep telling me at the shows I should, so I did.    

Went to a car show Sunday in a nearby town of 2100 people at the airport.

flyer.PNG.312e187ee5153c057d5ee58d380364f7.PNG

I was ½ hr early, folks that were there were wiping down their cars and preparing for the day. I pulled down the landing strip and there was a guy directing cars to park on the grass. As I pulled near him he ignored me and parked three other cars that were behind me.

Confused I pulled over and waited off to the side. Did he not see me? Did he have a preference who parks where? is this for cars only? HMMMM.

I waited for a few moments then I got out, asked him “is there was more parking” he looked over at my truck and replied, “are you going to enter THAT?” I said “I don’t know, are there dash plaques?” he said no, “just trophies” I told him to have a nice day and went home and took Julie out to breakfast.

Yesterday I cleaned up “Rob” thinking next year I should take him to this event….. the exhaust points at the ground! LOL  

trucks.JPG.9d0d50528a583ffdf3301534bc908f61.JPG

• Like 5

There will always be “snobby” car shows, and then there are the ones where everyone and everything is welcome.  Run what you brung is always my motto, and I appreciate an old original truck as much or more then another cookie cutter camaro or mustang....you likely made the right choice, if they don’t want you, you don’t need them..people will get tired of only seeing the same vehicles at the show and they will disappear if they don’t change.

• Like 2

Even if there are not dash placques and only trophies you still should enter your truck.  It is a working and running example of what these trucks were ment to do and be used and driven.  The AACA has a class called HPOF  Historical Preservation of Original Features. This class is for the owner that wants to show an original car or truck or motorcycle that has not been restored. The importance if that for someone that wants to restore, ground up or partial resto, can see how the original wiring harness door panels etc were attached to the truck or car.  So your car or truck is very important to show at an event.  You are proud of your truck and DO NOT and I say DO NOT let anyone ever put down you or your truck becasue it has not been resotred.

If they make a fuss then ask them for the money to restore the vehicle and also ask them how many fully restored vehicles that they own?  We also started out with a working car/truck and then took the time to do what we the owner wants to do.  So stand up to these people and also ask them where is their original car or truck.  This is a hobby and if this person or car club wants to be that snobbish then you need to inform the car show contact person on how you were greeted by one of their members.  This is not the way to get members and if you tell other people it will push car owners away from the show and the club.

We have a car show that has been running for 40+ years call Macungie in Pa. It has approx 1300 vehicles on sat and Sunday.  This is just a show not a judged event.  You get 100 and AACA senior winner cars, originals, partially restored, etc driveable cars and trailer queens.  BUT no-one cares becasue it is a car show not a contest to see who can up another persons car.  We all look at each others cars and that is the point to see different makes and models and to see how they have survided that is the important part not who has the most money invested inthe car.  So enjoy your trucks and show them with pride and they are great examples of original trucks. 

Bad representation on the clubs part.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Edited by desoto1939
  • Like 3

And you experienced the new philosophy at car shows.  Not all, of course, but a lot of them.  And it one of the big reasons that  these shows participation is getting less and less.  

If they are too snobby to take your $15 then you made the correct choice.  You were a lot nicer than I would have been and my parting suggestion would have been way more explicit than yours.

• Thanks 1

Well the flyer says cruise in, far as I am concerned that should be open to any thing that shows up. I would think that with that kind of attitude, the Over the Hill Gang will be obsolete, toasted by their pretension in the near future.  

• Thanks 1

Jeebus what kind of malarkey is that??  Cruise-in usually means anybody is welcome, even rat rods...definitely advise those dunderheads what you showed up in, how you were treated, and how ya have quite a few ppl spreading word of mouth about this snub on the internets...this kind of bull reminds me of Flounder & Pinto's attempt to fit in...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, desoto1939 said:

Even if there are not dash placques and only trophies you still should enter your truck.  It is a working and running example of what these trucks were ment to do and be used and driven.  The AACA has a class called HPOF  Historical Preservation of Original Features. This class is for the owner that wants to show an original car or truck or motorcycle that has not been restored. The importance if that for someone that wants to restore, ground up or partial resto, can see how the original wiring harness door panels etc were attached to the truck or car.  So your car or truck is very important to show at an event.  You are proud of your truck and DO NOT and I say DO NOT let anyone ever put down you or your truck becasue it has not been resotred.

If they make a fuss then ask them for the money to restore the vehicle and also ask them how many fully restored vehicles that they own?  We also started out with a working car/truck and then took the time to do what we the owner wants to do.  So stand up to these people and also ask them where is their original car or truck.  This is a hobby and if this person or car club wants to be that snobbish then you need to inform the car show contact person on how you were greeted by one of their members.  This is not the way to get members and if you tell other people it will push car owners away from the show and the club.

We have a car show that has been running for 40+ years call Macungie in Pa. It has approx 1300 vehicles on sat and Sunday.  This is just a show not a judged event.  You get 100 and AACA senior winner cars, originals, partially restored, etc driveable cars and trailer queens.  BUT no-one cares becasue it is a car show not a contest to see who can up another persons car.  We all look at each others cars and that is the point to see different makes and models and to see how they have survided that is the important part not who has the most money invested inthe car.  So enjoy your trucks and show them with pride and they are great examples of original trucks

Bad representation on the clubs part.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

I agree. We have been running a show for the past 15 years and ANY Vehical is welcome  we have classes for modern muscle, most original, best restoration and even project Vehical. The common thing is an appreciation of cars/trucks/motorcycles/tractor anything with wheels and an engine. 

• Like 4

Basic rues are if they take your money then they need to be gracious about your vehicle and put you in the proper class to show your truck.  They do not have the right to snub you or your truck. They were willing to take your money so be polite to the owner.

Cruise ins are usually free so everyone is welcome to attend

rich Hartung

Kinda wonder where the 15 bucks goes, most clubs host a show to raise money for club expenses,some will tell you half the entry fee goes to a charity they might align with, some say it defrays the cost of the venue. Most around here are eight to 12 bucks. The Mopar group charges ten but it supports the local trauma burn center. The flyer should tell you what's going on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, desoto1939 said:

Basic rues are if they take your money then they need to be gracious about your vehicle and put you in the proper class to show your truck.  They do not have the right to snub you or your truck. They were willing to take your money so be polite to the owner.

Cruise ins are usually free so everyone is welcome to attend

rich Hartung

Rich I appreciate your view on entering regardless, I hadn't thought of it like that.  never made it to the money part, it was park then check in

2 hours ago, lonejacklarry said:

You were a lot nicer than I would have been and my parting suggestion would have been way more explicit than yours.

lol, yeah I usually try not to get too excited over this stuff :) I was just surprised. I will admit in the back of my mind I kept thinking they have heard of me and know how many pancakes I can put away

42 minutes ago, 59bisquik said:

I go to lots of shows and have never gotten that type of treatment. However, I normally avoid the high dollar shows where most of the cars are bought and trailered in. 

yeah i'll bet you haven't, I've seen photos of your truck you have a NICE truck! :) most the shows I go to are local to me and I thought "low key"

18 minutes ago, greg g said:

Kinda wonder where the 15 bucks goes, most clubs host a show to raise money for club expenses,some will tell you half the entry fee goes to a charity they might align with, some say it defrays the cost of the venue. Most around here are eight to 12 bucks. The Mopar group charges ten but it supports the local trauma burn center. The flyer should tell you what's going on.

WOW what a wake up call. that is a great point Greg! just about everything I went to last year was around $20. but it supported something. I was more interested in just hanging out with guys. I should be supporting my community and if I have fun doing it that should be what it is about. that will be on my criteria from now on. i'll bet that will take care of the "snubbing"

thanks everyone for the support and encouragement! I knew something wasn't right

Holy crap Brent-man! I attended my first show this summer and thought they might not let me in, but they did. I learned how important these old trucks are to others. One guy kept staring at my truck and finally comes over and tells an emotional story of his dad's farm going belly up and him moving the family and everything they owned in a truck exactly like mine to Colorado. Good thing they let me in. Oh, I met a lot of really cool cars and their owners too.

Jeff & Evie @ Old Town Car Show

20180716_203455-1024x576.jpg

• Like 1

you should have paid and parked...and likely had a larger group of people checking out the oddball vehicle than some of the trailer queens...when I go to the local MoPaRs in the Park, I enter in the "appearing as original" class...I've won it and it was fun to see the snobs with their (admitted) bought cars gets fewer looks than a big old red truck.  NOTHING gets "those" people more hot under the collar than see things like that happen...preconceived notions and all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would venture to guess that was ONE guys opinion and not that of the overall club putting on the event. I wouldn't judge the club by the actions of him. I would however let a couple of people in the club know what took place - their reaction will allow you to better judge the club.

• Thanks 1

Gotta get on the soap box.  Went to one car show w my 1 ton got parked in the back in the weeds-haven't been back since.  I go to a fair amount of cruises, and am always accepted.  Don't do car shows anymore.  I don't care about trophies or awards-that's not why I'm in this.   Truck shows are a whole lot more inviting.  These things worked for a living and bear battle scars.  Some are restored to nicer than new-mine will never be.  I don't look as good as I did 40 yrs ago either.  It's all about fun, camaraderie, and shooting the breeze.   They can take the trophies and stick 'em.  I've been to shows where there were more trophies than vehicles, and everyone got one (hmmm why does that seem familiar today)?   Another pet peeve is charging the exhibitors upwards of $30 for the exhibitors, and spectators get in free????  How about no trophies, reasonable registration fees, and charging the folks that are coming to enjoy the show?  Off soapbox now.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Their loss, not yours. I'll bet your truck would have caught the attention every kid there, and I 'll bet you would have let them climb on the running boards and sit in the cab, push the pedals and work the gear shift. I go to a local Friday cruise-in with three or for other guys. We all let the kids (boys and girls) examine our cars, blow the horn, and pose for pictures in the driver's seat. The pure glee they express is better than any trophy. I have vivid memories of my best childhood friend's father's late '40's Chevrolet dump truck because his dad let us play all over it.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2018 at 6:54 PM, Brent B3B said:

yeah i'll bet you haven't, I've seen photos of your truck you have a NICE truck! :) most the shows I go to are local to me and I thought "low key"

Its more of a 10 footer... there are lots of scratches and dings or as I call them character....

Edited by 59bisquik

Brent;

I get asked all the time by people who see my truck wanting to know why I never take it to car shows. ?

The answer is very simple. It is just an old work truck........ and that is all I am really interested in. Don't really care if anyone else likes it and especially don't want to pretend to be interested in their 60's muscle car or whatever.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cruise Ins are free and the few car shows I have gone to around here are $20-$35 with defined charities getting the proceeds.  When I take my truck, it is the oddball, but my money is green.  I really don't care about trophies or any of the other stuff.  A mention on the PA that it is a "Good looking...what type of truck is that?" always makes my day.

My '53 outdraws the equivalent Chevys and Fords around it.  I always open the hood and the windows.  I stay by the truck, so I will let them open the doors so they can see inside.  I generally wind up being a tour guide for all the folks that have never seen one and more than one person has told their spouse or parents, "Why didn't we find a truck like this one?"

Brent, do like the rest of us...stay away from Pebble Beach. :lol:

• Haha 1

I'm going to a couple different shows this weekend, and both are free. The one Saturday afternoon is sponsored by a local radio station. Show form 3-6 with a cruise through town at 6.

And the one on Sunday is supposedly the largest single day car show in the area. Again, no entrance fees. They only ask for no carry-ins. All proceeds from the food vendors go to support local charities. This one is all supported by local sponsors.

Usually if there is an entrance fee it is to support a local charity. Most around here are free.

Should have at least 2 Pilot House trucks at each show, out of the 3 known in town.

• Like 1

I have always like the format of the cruise in compared to an actual judging car show.  You can come and go as you wish, no baby sitting a car locked in from X hour to X hour.  Dash plaques are nice, trophies take up way too much room and not at all important in my book.  The ones I have are but dust collectors so quit judging car show decade ago or  more.  It is more fun when you are not how you say, regulated to a set of rules.

• Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:06 PM, 48Dodger said:

You're always welcome in Clements brother!....I mean, we let Mark in fur pete's sake. :D

48D

LOL, thanks i/we appreciate and look forward to that every year!

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:48 AM, rekbender said:

Their loss, not yours. I'll bet your truck would have caught the attention every kid there, and I 'll bet you would have let them climb on the running boards and sit in the cab, push the pedals and work the gear shift. I go to a local Friday cruise-in with three or for other guys. We all let the kids (boys and girls) examine our cars, blow the horn, and pose for pictures in the driver's seat. The pure glee they express is better than any trophy. I have vivid memories of my best childhood friend's father's late '40's Chevrolet dump truck because his dad let us play all over it.

sooo true, only with parent supervision though ( i don't want them thinking they can climb over just any car at the event)

hey, here are a couple kids in our truck from the 2018 Clements event :) (driver = ggdad1951, navigation = 48dodger) 

hyjacked.JPG.2da363abc626ea6274a21d5d464d208c.JPG

hyjacked.JPG.61e4d69f3f1ed89fbcfe6e13b0220665.JPG

11 minutes ago, Brent B3B said:

LOL, thanks i/we appreciate and look forward to that every year!

sooo true, only with parent supervision though ( i don't want them thinking they can climb over just any car at the event)

hey, here are a couple kids in our truck from the 2018 Clements event :) (driver = ggdad1951, navigation = 48dodger) 

hyjacked.JPG.2da363abc626ea6274a21d5d464d208c.JPG

hyjacked.JPG.61e4d69f3f1ed89fbcfe6e13b0220665.JPG

that could likely be listed as an INFESTATION..!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3