Interest Growing in Mopar Trucks

HI folks, I do love the old Mopars. I own a '53 Chrysler and cherish it. My wife keeps hinting at me that she likes the old pick ups.  That's a big opportunity in my opinion, to get another old Mopar! I asked her to pick out what she likes, based on internet photos. I told her to search old Dodge truck, or Fargo truck.  I see a pattern of red truck photos coming back to me with headlight pods on the big round fenders. Side step rails and pop-out windows. Yes!!! She also likes the patina look, but not required.  If I were ready with more space I'd be all over it right now to find one to purchase.

I like stock. I like the flat heads and I am pretty comfortable working on them. 

I know little about Mopar truck offerings, but have been doing research in an effort to be educated when the time is right. I see that there was a relatively short run of Plymouth trucks. I assume quite rare these days. Meaning $$$$? Also parts like chrome and trim especially, may be hard to find? 

I have a few questions:

I like the look of the 1939 to 1947 era Dodge 1/2T truck. What series is that? WC? Is that one series across that span? Looking at internet photos it appears so. 

What exactly does the Pilot House series mean? Is this just the 5 window cabs? Was this is special order cab? What years?

No hurry something like this would certainly do just fine.

31-1940-dodge-pickup.jpg

Appreciate the info.  Thanks,  Keith

• Like 1

Young Ed is our resident expert on that era trucks, but I believe the the '39 and maybe '40 were T-series. Then they switched it to W-series.

The "Pilot House" name was a marketing thing for the new "All Around Visibility" of the new cabs on the B-Series trucks in '48. Most of that added visibility was because of the corner windows. But I believe the Canada built trucks never got the corner glass.

Welcome to the 'other' side. ?

58 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

I like the look of the 1939 to 1947 era Dodge 1/2T truck. What series is that? WC?

Dodge 1/2 ton trucks 1939 - 1947 ;    1939 = TC  ,  1940 = VC   ,  1941 - 1947 = WC  .  The 1941 Plymouth truck was PT 125 . If I remember correctly the 1940 Plymouth truck was PT 81 . 

Thanks Merle.

T series is 39 V is 40 and then 41-47 trucks are W series. The T and V each have a unique grill(one above is a 40) but the same front fenders with the headlights in towards the grill. The 41-47s have the headlights in depressions on the top of the fender. The C means 1/2 ton so if you want that you'd want a TC VC or WC. Plymouth pickups were made from 37-41 and the 39-41 models don't seem to bring much more $ than the equivalent dodge model. Dad and I each have a 40 plymouth pickup along with a few dodges. 

Just now, Jerry Roberts said:

Dodge 1/2 ton trucks 1939 - 1947 ;    1939 = TC  ,  1940 = VC   ,  1941 - 1947 = WC  .  The 1941 Plymouth truck was PT 125 . If I remember correctly the 1940 Plymouth truck was PT 81 . 

PT81 I think is 39. 40 is PT105 and then PT125

Saw my my first vintage Dodge truck at a car show today. A 1945. It was awful. Avery piece of chrome was painted along with the body. All satin black. Interior gutted with seats and gauges from a 90's mustang I think. It was a bit of a let down as I had hoped to see a nice stocker. No such luck.

The show was, as most are, riddled with chopped, chipped, french'd & tubb'd cars. Oh well each their own. The car that was my favourite today was a 1961 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron hard top. Wow. What a beast. All stock and beautiful. 

I will be keeping a sharp eye for more '39 - '47 era Dodge trucks! Wife is in agreement, they are so very nice.

22 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Saw my my first vintage Dodge truck at a car show today. A 1945. It was awful. Avery piece of chrome was painted along with the body. All satin black. Interior gutted with seats and gauges from a 90's mustang I think. It was a bit of a let down as I had hoped to see a nice stocker. No such luck.

The show was, as most are, riddled with chopped, chipped, french'd & tubb'd cars. Oh well each their own. The car that was my favourite today was a 1961 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron hard top. Wow. What a beast. All stock and beautiful. 

I will be keeping a sharp eye for more '39 - '47 era Dodge trucks! Wife is in agreement, they are so very nice.

Imperial men are the best and appreciate the same!  The 47' version of the 1/2 ton is in my opinion the one to go after as a few technical items were updated from the earlier pickups:

- The bed is a tad wider to accommodate a 4x8 sheet easily.

- The cab is mounted without the earlier wood bits, which are always rotted out.

- The stainless trim is a bit easier to come by.

Of course we don't always have the luck to be choosy.

My '47 has been everything to me and family for over 40 years (daily driver, worker, weekend hauler, tote-the-band-members stuff, etc. and now just a weekend fun truck). It's tough to beat and almost impossible to kill, except for neglect. Neglect will kill.

8 hours ago, jeffsunzeri said:

Imperial men are the best and appreciate the same!  The 47' version of the 1/2 ton is in my opinion the one to go after as a few technical items were updated from the earlier pickups:

- The bed is a tad wider to accommodate a 4x8 sheet easily.

- The cab is mounted without the earlier wood bits, which are always rotted out.

- The stainless trim is a bit easier to come by.

Of course we don't always have the luck to be choosy.

My '47 has been everything to me and family for over 40 years (daily driver, worker, weekend hauler, tote-the-band-members stuff, etc. and now just a weekend fun truck). It's tough to beat and almost impossible to kill, except for neglect. Neglect will kill.

That is all true of at least the 46s also and some of it is true of all the 39-47s. The 41-47s all use the same stainless trim(unless you get a WWII blackout) with the prewar trucks having extra on the lower grill. Those lower grill bars are the hard to find pieces. 

I have a 1938 Plymouth Truck, and pieces to a 1939.  The Plymouth trucks are hard to find.  The Dodges are easier...

I hope that you and your wife find what you are looking for.  And I hope to find a 1937(PT50) or a 1938(PT57) hood someday...

Good luck, and please post what you buy.

the 39-41 plymouth trucks are a little easier as the majority of the parts swap from the same year dodges. I think all I'm missing is 1 plymouth script for the stuff for my 40 plymouth

I’ve been actively looking at the Dodge trucks within the era mentioned above. I’m not seeing a lot. I see a few here and there. 

I am not in a hurry to buy. I’m just learning about the Dodge 1/2T market. I saw a beauty at $60K Canadian. That’s certainly not what I’m interested im spending. 

A recent one on-line in Reno looked appealing. 

My wife is quite a gem. She is a builder, carpenter, renovater, electronic repair, do it all type of person. Not your average man, let alone woman of skill. For example just this summer I rented and helped her set up scaffolding. She’s proceded to replace and repair the aged stucco on our large home and repaint the whole thing. In the process she repaired gutters, trapped and terminated squirrles nesting in our attic, dug out and pulled 5 large tree stumps, then jumps on my stand up Jet-Ski for some down time. Lol.  That’s just the tip of her iceberg. I love having that kinda help around the house.

My point in this is, she’s shown interest in a vintage truck as mentioned earlier. New to me is that she also wants to get into some coveralls and restore an old Dodge. Body work. Welding. Sanding. Parts replacement. Swap meet finds. Everything. I’m pretty decent at mechanical repair and rebuilding of various systems. I am sure my wife would do a damn fine job at most any assisgned task.  I’m excited at the opportunity to work together on project such as restoring an old Dodge truck together. We just passed our 25 year aniversary. I’m sure we could work very well together on a restoration. 

So I’ll keep an eye out for the right truck or two. I’ll keep feeding her enthusiasm and start the welding leasons this winter. We have a plan and we’re going for it!

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

If you were not so far away I thought about asking if you would rent her out here in Ca. to help keep up my friends two collectible vehicles (one is 47 Ply. Bus. Cpe) I would  supply the know how-mechanical and body/paint and all tools and supplies and a place to stay will be supplied!

No sexual part of this what so ever- You want a Ca. vacation too??

Does she cook!!!  ?

DJ

• Haha 2

I was going to say we've got a nice 40 plymouth for sale but it sounds like you want a project more than a finished (is there such a thing as finished) product