318 V8 Overhaul

Kirk

Hello!  I was formerly a member on this site when I owned a 48 Plymouth Club Coupe.  I have since sold it but now have a 58 Plymouth Belvedere with a 318 V8.  The motor is tired and needs a rebuild.  I'm looking for tips on engine removal (with trans, without trans?), things to avoid doing, etc.  Also, if anyone knows of an engine rebuilder in the SF Bay Area, that would be wonderful.  I can do the grunt work, but would rather have the motor rework done by someone with MUCH more experience!!  Thanks in advance for feedback!  Cheers, Kirk

Been a long time since I've worked on a forward look era car!  But, as I recall nothing special at all to pulling the engine and/or trans. I did the last one as a unit.  You will need a way to tilt the engine up in the front to get over the radiator support before coming forward.   I used a 'cherry picker' with an engine leveler.  Also had to remove the trans crossmember to get the tail as low as possible before moving forward.

I recommend you check in here:

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=1

full of fwdlook info.