Vacuum advance enlightenment

Thomba48

There is only vacuum in that vac advance line when the throttle is open. At idle the port should be blocked so it wouldn't influence the vacuum reading in the manifold at that time.

Also... vacuum is not pressure. It is the total absence of pressure, or negative pressure.

Just now, Merle Coggins said:

There is only vacuum in that vac advance line when the throttle is open. At idle the port should be blocked so it wouldn't influence the vacuum reading in the manifold at that time.

Also... vacuum is not pressure. It is the total absence of pressure, or negative pressure.

Yes you are right ? So is my reading okish?

You need to ask the seller which carb numbers it fits. The "IAT, IGS, etc from the side of the distributer body.  There some small differences in the advance curves through the years but, l am running a 54 truck dist in my 56 car engine with little ill effect. If he can't answer don't buy.  Did you try to adjust the timing to see if you could get a higher reading from intake source?

5 minutes ago, Thomba48 said:

Where do I find the distributor number?

On the side of the distributor there will be a metal tag . it might be under that silver paint . I can look up most part numbers to fit Auto -Lite distributors 1938 - 1951 . 

Edited by Jerry Roberts
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jerry Roberts said:

On the side of the distributor there will be a metal tag . it might be under that silver paint . 

1 minute ago, Jerry Roberts said:

On the side of the distributor there will be a metal tag . it might be under that silver paint . 

thanks