With great inheritance........

Tubachick02

Comes great opportunities.

I am inheriting a failed "family" project of a 1949 Dodge Coronet 4D.  I recall seeing the car...20 years ago and at this point all I have is a VIN off of the title to work off of.  Is there a way to decode the number to see what it is I am dealing with, like exactly what body line it has and original color?  the number I have is D30183058, but nothing seems to want to take that as a full number so I have yet to find the info.  I have two shop manuals for it and the vague recollection of my 13 year old self.

Given the number you have provided is an engine number, I do not think you will get far.

Many states and provinces used engine numbers for titling purposes.  It can be found over the left rear axle as well as on the engine, of course.

The serial number is found on the left  A pillar  and will begin with a 1, 2, 3, or 9 depending on which assembly plant the car came from.

The D30 engine goes along with 49 Coronet or Meadowbrook for 1949.  The Coronet was the upmarket model with the most standard bells and whistles. Does it say Gyro magic any where? Dashboard, rear bumper, on the trunk lid?  Wheelbase should be 123 inches.  Serial number, the identifier Chrysler uses for a complete car assigned sequentially as frame engine and body were all together on the assembly line should be a round or rectangular tag revited on one of the a pillars.