Old gas station mockup

desoto1939

During my travels of delivering Automobile glass and windshields I came across this nice old farm house in which the owner tried to make an old style gas station and farm stand . farm near Hellertown Pa. Enjoy the pictures. Nice to see that some people collect the old stuff.

can anyone guess what the picture of the long metal machine that is nailed to the post was used for?.  I do know but just wanted to see if everyone else remembers these being in the Mens room at the gas stations.  and they cost 25 Cents

Happy looking at the pictures  I go past this place everyday and i slow down just to look and remember the good old days.  The pictures of the old dodge truck and farmall tractor in a prior posting are just up the road from this place.

Rich Hartung   Desoto1939@aol.com

IMG_0804.JPG

IMG_0806.JPG

IMG_0807.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0810.JPG

IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0813.JPG

IMG_0815.JPG

• Like 1

Rich.......sheaths, party balloons, frangers, raincoats, rubbers, prophylactics, errr.........condoms..........lol......andyd

Edited by Andydodge
  • Like 1

I agree Frank, recalling a many of the older small stations situated in the rural areas which I grew up, none were ever anywhere close to this cluttered up.  I have fond memories of many of the country stores also.   This is just a hodge podge collection of what many seem to think was 'normal', there is no room shown to allow any service/transaction of business whatsoever.

Here is a couple pictures of the gas station / fruit stand that my GGrandfather opened in New York after he arrived on the boat from Positano Italy and became a American citizen. Our last name was / is Ruggiero but he used Rogers which is the Americanized version of Ruggiero on the business because at the time folks didnt take too kindly to the Italian and Irish. The whole rest of my family still goes by Ruggiero all except for my Grandpa who used Rogers but it was never officially changed. 

10917081_10203461447636617_8504669114597328087_n.jpg

10917881_10203461447316609_42437926768358860_n.jpg

Edited by John Rogers
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Rich.......sheaths, party balloons, frangers, raincoats, rubbers, prophylactics, errr.........condoms..........lol......andyd

Andydodge:  you guessed correctly. But it was so funny to see this machine dispenser on the post. I guess it brings back some memories for some of us older folk. Hope everyone enjoyed the pictures.  I pass this place everyday during my route and I stop by the chevy to see if he has any produce for the day.

fond memoried never fade away.

Keep posting pictures of things like this from your travels.

Rich Hartung

3 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

Andydodge:  you guessed correctly. But it was so funny to see this machine dispenser on the post. I guess it brings back some memories for some of us older folk.

Rich Hartung

What I always thought amazing was that each one sold from such machines had its own serial number. I guess this had to do with liabilities in case of failure. Did you ever see the serial numbers?

1 hour ago, Don Coatney said:

What I always thought amazing was that each one sold from such machines had its own serial number. I guess this had to do with liabilities in case of failure. Did younger see the serial numbers?

I don''t recall taking the time to look for a number, Don.  

2 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

What I always thought amazing was that each one sold from such machines had its own serial number. I guess this had to do with liabilities in case of failure. Did you ever see the serial numbers?

that is a very BAITED question......serial numbers and then best used by date beyond that...

I saw a message on one of those machines once that said "The gum in this machine tastes like rubber!"

I worked after school and Saturdays at a local Gulf service station my last couple of years of high school. I pumped gas, did oil changes, repaired and replaced tires, did brake jobs, tune ups, anything and everything that came in the door. It only paid $1.00 per hour but it was a good experience. The man that owned it was the archetypal service station guy, always neatly dressed in company uniform and hat and insisted that the place was always tidy and clean. I was already a good mechanic and hard worker or I wouldn't have been asked to work there but working for Wesley certainly improved my skills. One of the pluses was that Wes's wife always brought in Saturday dinner. Having always been poor it seemed to me like Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner on a weekly basis, a far cry from the beans, potatoes, and biscuits we ate most of the rest of the time. 

As Yogi Berra is quoted, "Nostalgia ain't what it useta be" but I will always have fond memories of the many people who befriended me when I was young and gave me an opportunity to improve my life.

• Like 2

I worked at a local Oz Ampol service station when I was about 13 or 14, 1967/68 doing various cleaning & restocking tasks around the place including the toilets and remember seeing a similar machine...........and their newer versions are still around.........being on the bottom of the world I'm not sure if the Oz versions had a hole at the opposite end............lol........nice gas station pics guys............andyd   

Edited by Andydodge

Thanks Don & Tim..........lol.........I just wet myself.........lol.............andyd

On 7/15/2018 at 7:12 PM, bones44 said:

desoto 1939 thanks for posting, I remember a lot of the items reminds me how old I am and loving ever minute of it. Who cares about serial numbers when your in a hurry.

I will be posting some other good finds this week. The next find will have some car medallions and i am going to ask the members to try to guess which are manufacturer.  It should be very interesting becasue you do not see many of these cars at car shows.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Mack,

You got a whole dollar per hour?  I worked at the local Phillips 66 and all I got was 75 cents an hour.

I always got a kick out of those that stopped in for a dollars worth of gas, wash my windows and check the oil please.  And that left front leaky tire needs air.

Hey, I was that good. Or maybe I don't remember it correctly!  Apparently I wasn't as good at picking watermelons and cantaloupes, I think that paid 75 cents an hour. 

I remember one guy in a rusty old station wagon that would sometimes come in multiple times a day and buy 50 cents worth of gas. Wes's rule was that you always wash the windows, check the tires, oil and battery. Every time I saw that wagon coming in I'd think about Chuck Berry. "Wipe the windows, check the tires, check the oil, dollar gas. Too much monkey business for me!"

On 7/27/2018 at 7:32 PM, desoto1939 said:

I will be posting some other good finds this week. The next find will have some car medallions and i am going to ask the members to try to guess which are manufacturer.  It should be very interesting becasue you do not see many of these cars at car shows.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

My early guess is Trojan keeping in line with other questions in this thread.

?

badge-on-1950s-trojan-3-wheeler-bubble-car-f50b9r.jpg