Removal of rear springs

Good afternoon,

I am continuing to break down my truck (1954 C-1-D6) to get the frame, front end, and rear end blasted and painted. I am having difficulty figuring out how to remove the rear springs and rear end. I have removed what I believe to be called the spring bolt lock as well as the grease cirque, but I cannot figure out how to remove the spring bolt. The manual I am working from speaks of a "Tool DD-431", but even the picture demonstrating how to remove it does not look at all like my rear end. Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

C1 rear end pic 1.jpg

C1 rear end Pic 2.jpg

Edited by Jeff Mead

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:41 AM, 59bisquik said:

I dont remember if there is an access hole behind it in the frame. However, the pin is threaded and I used a slide hammer to remove mine.

Yes there is an access hole behind all of them in the frame. Do you mean by being threaded, the internal threads that the grease cirque threads into? This is the where I have been threading in the keeper bolt (obviously same thread) and making a home-made puller of sorts trying to pull the pin out through the shackle towards the outside of the frame. No luck so far. The bolts keep stripping when I start to apply a lot of torque. I went and bought some grade 8 bolts. They stripped out also. I don't think the pins have external threads do they?

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:09 PM, tanda62 said:

Check out the videos from 48Dodger.  There is one addressing taking this apart.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9KYZPKxJJaOE-D3-2IRTMg

Thank you. Still no luck. Not sure if the pins are pressed in or what. The video shows them being tapped out toward outside of frame.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gramps1951 said:

I had to use a torch and heat up the spring and use an air chissel  and knock it out from the other side thru the hole on the other side had to get a new pin .

It is looking like I just need to apply this type of pressure. Can you tell me where you bought the new pin. I am sure I will need one or more.

I replaced all my shackles on my 1954 last summer. From what I remember all of the bushings have internal threads that accept the ‘silent U’ shackles (look like sideways U) and external threads that spin into recesses in the chassis. Of course all of them were siezed to some extent and a couple started to strip out too. 

Before I figured out that they were spun into the chassis (and some might be left hand thread just to keep you on your toes) I was able to hammer out a rusty one that didn’t really have much external thread on it.

Another rear one which suspended the driver’s rear leaf shackle I couldn’t get it to hammer out (gee wonder why.). I even got medieval on it, removing the rivets that attach the volcano looking thing to the frame and putting it in a 20 ton press. Oops. I also discovered that it is cast iron not steel when I tried to stick weld it back on to the frame but that’s a whole other ball of misguided wax...

I think I used a bunch of torch heat and a cheater bar on a breaker bar to get some of them to move. The fronts are particularly fun to try and get that much leverage while laying on your back and praying not to smear the flats on those bushings.

Here’s the one that almost defeated me:

I hope this is the correct information?

00744B56-C317-4E79-8CED-5EE65F5DA97A.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Radarsonwheels said:

I replaced all my shackles on my 1954 last summer. From what I remember all of the bushings have internal threads that accept the ‘silent U’ shackles (look like sideways U) and external threads that spin into recesses in the chassis. Of course all of them were siezed to some extent and a couple started to strip out too. 

Before I figured out that they were spun into the chassis (and some might be left hand thread just to keep you on your toes) I was able to hammer out a rusty one that didn’t really have much external thread on it.

Another rear one which suspended the driver’s rear leaf shackle I couldn’t get it to hammer out (gee wonder why.). I even got medieval on it, removing the rivets that attach the volcano looking thing to the frame and putting it in a 20 ton press. Oops. I also discovered that it is cast iron not steel when I tried to stick weld it back on to the frame but that’s a whole other ball of misguided wax...

I think I used a bunch of torch heat and a cheater bar on a breaker bar to get some of them to move. The fronts are particularly fun to try and get that much leverage while laying on your back and praying not to smear the flats on those bushings.

Here’s the one that almost defeated me:

I hope this is the correct information?

00744B56-C317-4E79-8CED-5EE65F5DA97A.jpeg

This is on the front springs, correct? I am currently working on the rear springs.

On the rear of each spring is a silent U shackle. It’s bushing threads into the frame and it has internal threads that pull the shackle in at the same time as you spin it into the frame. This is on all 4 leaf springs, same bushings. 

The rear leaf eyes have the same bushings in them on the bottom hozontal leg of the silent U shackle

Edited by Radarsonwheels
Clarity

If you cut off the shackle it is pretty easy to spin the remaining stub out but the main bushing will still be in there mocking you and daring you to try spinning it out with an impact driver. Mine all needed at least two feet of leverage, cook a steak water sizzling on it heat, mucho penetrating oil, and prayer.

36 minutes ago, Radarsonwheels said:

On the rear of each spring is a silent U shackle. It’s bushing threads into the frame and it has internal threads that pull the shackle in at the same time as you spin it into the frame. This is on all 4 leaf springs, same bushings. 

The rear leaf eyes have the same bushings in them on the bottom hozontal leg of the silent U shackle

I am confused. I am talking about the springs on the rear end of the truck, not the rear of the springs on the front end of the truck.

Well there are four leaf springs. The rear of each spring has a silent U shackle with a bushing in the frame and a bushing in the rear eye of the truck.

I just went out and looked at my ‘54 chassis- you are talking about the front leaf hanger of the rear spring. The front and rear spring hangers are different- the front hangers under the motor are like vertical plates that you bolt through while the rear hangers under the bed are volcano shaped castings.

I see that you are talking about the front hangers of the rear leaf springs. 

I was confused too because on my 54 the front of all 4 springs just unbolted iirc while the four shackles and bushings were designed by satan.

I really was trying to make a positive contribution not muddy the waters! I’ll shut up now and let the grownups talk haha