Prefab top manufacturer recommendation for my P18 convertible?

Thomba48

Not an issue of urgency, but my convertible top for my P18 Plymouth will need replacement rather soon than later. Any recommendations towards a good prefab top manufacturer. I have spoken to one very nice forum member who had big issues with EZ On company. So they might not be on my list anymore. ?

thanks

Edited by Thomba48

Bill Hirsch has received a couple good reviews on tops.  In fact, I think that's where I got my last new top rather than from

EZ On company.    However, mine is now in place after a few trials and tribulations......hopefully good for the next few

years.   

Thom,

Getting a good quality top is just the first hurdle in this significant project. The next one, and perhaps the most daunting one, is installing it. Convertible tops are very difficult—I’ve known professional upholsters who’ve said that they’re at the bottom of the list as far as jobs are concerned. I guess the primary complaint is the constant stretching to get it taught so it isn’t flapping insanely when the car’s being driven down the road.

Obviously, you’ve got much more tenacity than I. Suggestion—enlist the assistance of a couple of friends (bribe them with beer and pizza, that usually works for me . . .), and have a go at it. Another suggestion—exercise an abundance of patience. Good luck to you.

1 hour ago, DrDoctor said:

Thom,

Getting a good quality top is just the first hurdle in this significant project. The next one, and perhaps the most daunting one, is installing it. Convertible tops are very difficult—I’ve known professional upholsters who’ve said that they’re at the bottom of the list as far as jobs are concerned. I guess the primary complaint is the constant stretching to get it taught so it isn’t flapping insanely when the car’s being driven down the road.

Obviously, you’ve got much more tenacity than I. Suggestion—enlist the assistance of a couple of friends (bribe them with beer and pizza, that usually works for me . . .), and have a go at it. Another suggestion—exercise an abundance of patience. Good luck to you.

Thanks for many reasons.

First of all for reminding me towards to task at hand. Which I do not dare even thinking about for the time being. And secondly assuming that I have any form of tenacity ? I am not sure about that. What I am sure is that I am desperate and have reached a point of no return. Saying, the car I purchased turned out to be - well a bloody mess. I could either leave it in the state at hand and never enjoy or move on and never look back - costwise. Bugger

If your top still functions and is intact, measure everything, take lots of notes, draw pictures as you're taking the old top off .  Placement of every part, rivet, screw, etc is important.  Critical measurement is the rear bow to the deck measurement when the top is up.  I did a top last winter and found the instruction woefully lacking in detail so I would recommend making your own  during disassembly.  You'll need an upholstery stapler.  The common hand power staplers don't have enough power to drive into the tack strip.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dave72dt said:

If your top still functions and is intact, measure everything, take lots of notes, draw pictures as you're taking the old top off .  Placement of every part, rivet, screw, etc is important.  Critical measurement is the rear bow to the deck measurement when the top is up.  I did a top last winter and found the instruction woefully lacking in detail so I would recommend making your own  during disassembly.  You'll need an upholstery stapler.  The common hand power staplers don't have enough power to drive into the tack strip.

thanks

Thom,

I certainly don’t recommend you throwing in the towel due to the top material project. You’re obviously more “adventurous” that I am. As such, you have two main alternatives: 1) do the project yourself, taking your time, and proceeding carefully; or 2) farm it out to an upholstery shop. Whichever path you elect to pursue, in the end, you’ll have something the vast majority of people in Germany don’t have—an elderly American car, and a convertible at that, that you brought back to life. Now, does it get much better than that??? Remember, the best part of reaching a goal is the journey (or so I’m told by my wife . . .). Regards . . . .

• Thanks 1

Hi. Have just checked with Jeff Hirsch. He claims that his suppliers do not offer a prefab solution for the P18 model, but for the Cranbrook car only. Any idea if those cars actually differ that much when it comes to the top? I know, the car is different, but the top?