Mopar Oil Filter

Richard Cope

I found the following Mopar oil filter at a garage sale, appears that it has never been on a car just some surface scratches.  I have a 39 Ply. stock engine and have been using the disposable filters, thinking of changing  to one that the media can be changed.  This is longer than most that I haver seen, diameter is about 4 in., however height is about 7 in. without the cap.  Is there any reason that this wouldn't work on the 201 engine?  Does anyone know what filter it would take and are they available today, if it is usable will take to NAPA and see if they can match up a filter element ?  A concern is, on the threaded connection near the cap, it is indicated as  "Outlet", seems that it would be the inlet for the 201 engine.

Thank you in advance for your help

Regards,

Richard

Oil Filter Cap.png

Oil Filter.png

What else is stamped into the lid? It looks a lot like my Deluxe Filter, which uses the JC filter element. This is a sock type that crosses to Napa’s 1011. But it will be a very tight fit and you’ll be cussing it. If it indeed used a JC element, go find a Baldwin JC405. Much better fit. 

Hook up the oil lines as the are labeled on the filter housing.

Some manufacturers add-on filter housings had the in and out reversed -top/bottom- from other brands but it is in the way the internal oil holes where located.

Just run the oil lines to labeled fitting as needed from your motor.

JMO,

DJ

• Like 1

Appreciate your help, appears that the Baldwin sock filters are available on-line.  The filter is a Mopar Type MN 16, photo attached.  Any idea how affective the sock filters are?  Any thoughts on the design in which the oil enters the bottom of the filter and exits the top, seems like it may be somewhat pressurized and if so can this affect the engine oil pressure.  Am I correct, as long as the inlet is high enough, oil would drain back to the oil pan during an changes.  Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards, Rich

Filter MN16png.png

THe sock filters are a very fine filter media and work very well. The oil comes up the center tube. There should be a couple holes in that center tube about half way up. The oil then oozes through the sock media and finds it way up to the top. There should be a perforated dome under the cover that holds the filter down and creates a space for oil to collect and drain back via the Outlet port. 

All bypass type filters only pass a small amount of the overall oil flow within the engine, and the oil pressure regulator valve also helps control the flow returning from the filter in cases of low pressure. 

Merle