D24 Shock Absorbers

Conn47D24

Today's question.

Searched Threads here with no clear answer.

My Club Coupe is on the ground full weight in the rear.

I went to install rear shocks and at the FULLY extended length they are JUST short ( approx 1/4-1/2 " ) of sliding on to the mounts.

Studs seem to be approx. 21" apart

Question: 

Even if they slid on at full extention, wouldn't that be a problem at the first pot hole ?  Some travel up, as well as down is needed?

Wrong shocks ?

Does anyone have a current application part # like NAPA or other modern equivalent?

Thank you All

Clay

clay:  i just went to the Monroe Shockes web page did a search on 1947 Dodge  the rears are showing as model  Monro-Matic 3100  The fronts are  number 5752  Hope this helps you get the correct shock  I have these on my 39 Desoto.

Rich Hartung

• Thanks 1

I believe I just installed the Monro-Matic 3100's on both front and rear of my D24 Convertible.  I think it just came up on one of the auto stores web sites so that's what I ordered.  They seemed to fit fine.  I'll have to double check to see if the fronts are supposed to be different.  Maybe they are and I just am remembering wrong...

• Thanks 1

Sorry for the delay, I am just back home from a trip that included Carlise PA Chrysler Nationals.

Thank you all for the info, big help!  I will check out the correct shocks .

As for Carlise, Our days there may me done.  It's all 60s and 70s muscle now.  

Two vendors I've bought from over the phone were there. Nice to met Ed Speigle and Mike from Mitchel ( Obsolete Mopar ) in person ,

but BOTH said the same thing.  "  Nothing here for you " !

Nice trip anyway.

2 hours ago, Conn47D24 said:

Sorry for the delay, I am just back home from a trip that included Carlise PA Chrysler Nationals.

Thank you all for the info, big help!  I will check out the correct shocks .

As for Carlise, Our days there may me done.  It's all 60s and 70s muscle now.  

Two vendors I've bought from over the phone were there. Nice to met Ed Speigle and Mike from Mitchel ( Obsolete Mopar ) in person ,

but BOTH said the same thing.  "  Nothing here for you " !

Nice trip anyway.

You need to go to Hershey in the fall.

• Like 1

Even Hershey is changing, I have been going for 25+ years and there are less parts for the 30-40's car going toward the 50-60-70.  Have to remember that the guys that had owned these early cars are now dying so the parts are not coming out and the newer guys had the mustangs caermo, firebirds, vets, t-birds and cuda and shelbies.  So the hobby is changing becasue of the current members that do sell parts and also becasue of the internet and such as Ebay they do not have to come to Hershey to sell a part they just list it and you can not haggle with the price and they do not have any travel expenses.

Clay hope you make it to Hershey and stop by our site OAD 7 and 8  inthe Ornage field all are welcome to stop by and sit for a while and talk Mopar and Desoto.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Thanks 1

UPDATE :    After studying the recommended sites above, and one other site on how to calculate the correct size shock.  I then gave a call to Eaton Springs.

I did not realize that  my new new leaf springs would, and did change the ride height by about an inch.   I was told this may settled back down after driving .  In the meantime  I have installed a set of Monroe 37073 shocks that fit just fine.  Took several measurements and calculations to find the sizes, and then I used the chart from Monroe that The Oil Soup listed here.

I will hold on to the Gabriels I had in case this ride height settles down once I'm on the road.