Will worn shackle bushings cause clutch chatter?

insaneradio

I am grasping at straws.  I am chasing clutch chatter problem.  All the obvios items have been checked and or replaced.  I read in a thread somewhere about worn shackle bushing could cause chatter.  It appears mine are worn.  Is it a possibility worn bushings cause clutch chatter??

insane radio,

Highly unlikely Spring Shackles would cause a Clutch Judder/Chatter.

I too thought of everything under the sun to deny the Clutch Judder problem.

Question does it Chatter/Judder at lower Speeds say 15 m.p.h. and then return again in the 30 - 35 m.p.h. range?

Take your Cover off beneath the Clutch and examine the Clutch Plate for wear.

Good Luck, I hope you find it was just your Shackles, however, that may not be the case.

Tom

Thanks Tom.  I too am sceptical but thought I would ask.  I have "judder" when starting in first gear.  I have had it for 28 years---from the day I purchased the car.  I replaced clutch, press plate, throw out bearing plus resurfaced flywheel.  I also replaced rear engine mounts.  To no avail--- still chatters when starting out in first gear. I have not replaced front engine mount. 

Thank you for your input.  I will continue to look----hopefully something will resolve it!

Edited by insaneradio

Have you replaced the pilot bushing?

Is the replacement throw out bearing you installed new off the shelf or new old stock? Reason I ask is I once purchased a new off the shelf throw out bearing that was constructed with white plastic UHMW not brass. It chattered terribly so I removed it and re-installed the original one that was brass and that fixed my problem. I have sense located a NOS brass constructed bearing as pictured below. 

throwoutbearing.jpg

Since you have changed most of your clutch parts. Have you checked the condition of your universal joints?

Thanks Don, it has been some time since I replaced TO bearing however I do not recall it being plastic--I will try to take a look to confirn.

1949 Wraith,  I checked some time back and appeared fine.  I will certainly look again.  

Thank you both for your input!

Mine has done it since my dad bought it in the late 70's. I'm going to follow along and see what we can learn together.

I would check the height of the clutch fingers.  More than one rebuilt has had that adjustment wrong and the fingers were not the same height.  That causes the pressure plate to contact the disk on one side before total contact. 

HOw much has it really been used since the disk was replaced?  Some lining materials are really 'grabby' when new and become slightly glazed and smoother with use.  I remember and old mechanic in the 60s that would start off in high gear, really slipping the clutch, a few times to 'bed' a new clutch.  Not my recommendation, but it seemed to work for him.

Edited by kencombs

Something to think about too is the type of T.O.bearing used. They are not all the same. An angular contact bearing is what you want. In studies between different types of bearings angular contact bearings outlast other designs by a ton in applying and releasing the clutch plate. 

• 3 weeks later...

Have you checked the carburetor ?   No,  this is not a prank response.  Consider that as you are engaging the clutch, you are also loading the engine which is something both the carburetor and distributor must adapt to.  So power falls off then is restored then falls off and is restored many times in a few seconds.  Result, not a smooth application of power.   Shudder.

Learned this from a long time service manager who recently applied this knowledge to a 48 Plymouth.    No  more shudder.

• Like 1