1953 Suburban with a V8

pflaming

A friend has this for sale at $9500. He has been offered around $8000. This is  NOT. a for sale post.  I think the color has shrunk his marketability. I realize it is the fad, but I do not think the "vintage" looker, the older buyer wants fad. JMHO.  What is your opinion? 

IMG_6702.JPG

1 hour ago, pflaming said:

A friend has this for sale at $9500. He has been offered around $8000. This is  NOT. a for sale post.  I think the color has shrunk his marketability. I realize it is the fad, but I do not think the "vintage" looker, the older buyer wants fad. JMHO.  What is your opinion? 

IMG_6702.JPG

I think it is too late now to do anything about it.  It would cost him a couple of grand to get the chrome redone and get a shiny paint job on it,and that doesn't include new springs,spindles to raise it and original seat covers. He would be money ahead to to take the 8 grand if he really needs or just wants to sell it.

Otherwise his best bet is to just keep driving and enjoying it,and taking it to every rod run,swap meet,etc,etc,etc he can atttend,with a For Sale Sign in the window with his phone number and the price. There IS someone out there who would be happy to spend 10 grand for a car like that he can just hop into and go riding. Let's face it,10 grand ain't what it used to be,and to someone who wants a early Plymouth wagon it is a good buy when they consider all year or two,or more,that it would take them to turn the average project wagon into a driver that nice and reliable. You can and will get more money. You will never get more time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Around here a 'decent' paint job will cost alot more than 'a couple of grand'.....

Not having much detail on the rest of the car it doesn't look too bad and, just what can you buy these days for $9k?

Like knuckleharley suggests, he might want to look real hard at the offer.

If it has something other than a Mopar engine then he should take the money and run.

56 minutes ago, DrDoctor said:

I again agree with my as-yet un-met friend—Knuckleharley. I’m also not a friend of the mono-chromatic look. Bumpers on old cars should be chrome, as should the grill work, and trim pieces. I’m also not a huge fan of wide-whitewalls and/or hubcaps, but that’s just me. As for the flat paint—I’m also not a fan of the “primer look”. An old car should have a nice paint job in a period-correct hue with a luster, not some crazy metal-flake with tons of clear-coat that makes is look like it’s been dipped in plastic. Again—that’s just me. And, remember: opinions are like some portions of our anatomy (other than the obvious, I also refer to the pancreas, liver, spleen, heart, stomach, brain, sternum, hyoid, etc., etc., etc.,)—we each have one. Thx.

Not just you brother.

The '53 Suburban has a small MOPAR V8. He is looking for caps that are correct. When the picture was taken. The wer spot was there from a previous car. 

You could shoot some clear coat on it to give a little shine and have bumpers and hood ornament chrome powder coated. That wouldn't be too terribly expensive and it would give it back some of it's nostalgia. It's just got 2 doors so that helps a little in some peoples eyes. I'm not a '53 fan so I'm probably not the best person to comment on this. I hope he finds a happy home for it though.

A lot of what a car is worth can depend on how well the work is done - body work/ paint/interior condition/ V-8 install properly done or thrown together/real overall condition of everything.

At a glance-- Not impressed- at least not yet!

More pics could change that.

Remember money spend has No relation to worth.  ?

Enjoy your vacation and watch your diet.  ?

Best to you and wife,

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
Left some small detail,etc. out.

My Oz 2cents says that for me it should have a nice shiney paint job, Silverdomes suggestion re shooting some clear over it may help.........but I'd venture to say that if it had a real nice paint job even costing 5-10 grand and some chrome bumpers that the price then could easily top 20-25K...........but whether the owner has the coin to go further or even wants to is something only he can decide...........any pics of the engine bay & interior and whats the overall mechanical spec too?............andyd    

• Like 1

Plymouthy, yep I've only ever paid for paint when I had the roof redone after removed the vinyl top, my shoulder is such that I didn't want to risk trying to hold the gun up that high.......but otherwise the 40yr old paint is still holding up.............andyd

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I guess it is fortunate that I am able to shoot paint.....there is no way on this earth I could ever justify the cost of a paint job at the prices you folks mention....

I bought an airless setup,and then came down with COPD and can't even use that.

I MIGHT be able to spray if I use a full-face mask with an air pump,and I plan on trying it on my 51 coupe.

As DJ notes, it's the quality of the works that's been done, be it stock or modified, that is the big determiner of its worth.  Stock '53 Suburbans aren't everybody's cup of tea as it is, and it could be argued that there is a bigger market for nicely modified wagons, if not "over the top".  I would enjoy this car (a lot!) as is, and I could afford it that way.  That said, I've also much admired "shiny" '53 wagons, stock and custom, far out of my price range.

Some relatively low dollar mods could increase it's "curb appeal" - Silverdome's suggestion to add some chrome powder coat is something I'd do if it were mine.  If the flat black paint is well done, a little more pizzaz can be had by just painting the roof a bright, contrasting metal flake - a time honored custom touch.  Not cheap, but it would look bitchin' with a set of MoPar wire wheels on it.

But, as the Good Doctor points out, opinions are like Small Block Chevies (I mean bellybuttons)...

Good luck to your friend in his efforts to sell his car fairly.

These responses are very informative since I'm in the last lap on my '53 Suburban. I will return to it in September and stay focused to completion. Then will visit Pismo Dunes and vintage RV camping weekends. I'm betting that some one will see HIS longroof in mine and detail it to his taste and need. It won't be Courtney / Adams perfect, but will be a great candidate for such a seeker. 

More responses are certainly welcome.

That picture with the BLACK oil leaking out from under the car certainly makes it not the most desirable car.

Wonder what else is weak?⁉️

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

There's a drip under your truck too Paul.

For what it's worth, I like the '53. The flat black used to be my cup-o-tea, and I can still find some appeal to the paint job (or lack thereof, I suppose), but I am leery of buying others previous mods. Be it paint, bodywork, engine/tranny swaps or any other modifications that I wasn't there to witness the quality of. I have seen a wide array of quality to not-so-quality "upgrades". I've heard horror stories about frames splitting and engines falling out due to someone else's interpretation of safety. If I were to invest money into a car, I would want to find something as close to stock as possible. Anything I were to do to it afterwards would be on me. It's a sharp looking ride and I'm sure someone out there will pay the asking price without trouble.

-Austin

• Like 1