Paint detailing on chrome ?

Dartgame

For my car and I’m sure others as well, there are certain parts of the chrome that have recesses (style lines etc) that get red paint. I looked around on the web and saw very little about this. I saw mostly references to sanding and then painting. Not something I want to do on my freshly chromed emblems etc. 

I am thinking to go get some bright red Rustoleum and an artist brush. Clean any wax off the parts, thin the paint as needed, and go to town. sound right ?

That will work.  If it comes off years from now just redo it.   It's a lot harder to make straight lines on the chrome than it looks.  I'm going to take my hubcaps to a pro as soon as I find one that will do it.  My paint job looks terrible.

Tim's idea sounds good.   I have always used Testor's red model car paint and a model car small paint brush.  It

has held up pretty well over the years.  

s-l225.webp

The ring around the hubcap script is NOT painted red.....just the letters and ship picture.

• Thanks 1

Go to a body shop supplier or wholesaler, if you can't find on in your area stop at a body shop and see where the get their stuff.  You want a fiber glass etching pen.  This thing has a bunch of fiberglass strands held in a thing like a retractable ball point pen.  You use it to rough up the chrome bits you want to paint. L used restore model paint.  CAUTION!!! When using this pen tiny fiber glass shards will become airborne use a mask and safety classes and disposable gloves when using it and don't touch eyes, nose , mouth, etc.  I rigged up the shop vac hose in a small cardboard box, like a mini media blast cabinet.  Its been 13 years and its still about 90% in place and standing proud.

76970_std_1478034521.jpg

https://www.esslinger.com/scratch-brush-with-metal-ferrules-german-made-fiberglass-nylon-steel-or-brass/?sku=16.338&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkt2Lp9CS3AIVB4vICh2FPQ57EAQYCSABEgIUtvD_BwE

I'll ditto the Testor's and a small paint brush made for modeling for the lines and script.  Since I did mine, I've wondered of a pin striping brush may work better, since they flow better and are easier to make consistent straight lines with.  For my hubcaps I applied good quality masking tape, burnished the edges of the design down with a wood dowel, and cut the design out with an X-acto knife.  Then spray paint, used Rustoleum and two light coats.  The newer Krylon 2X paint may only need one coat.  I did ours going on 20 years ago now, and they are holding up really well.  I didn't sand or otherwise rough up any of the surfaces, although chrome may be too slick not to.  If I was doing chrome, I'd ever so slightly rough it up with walnut shell in a sand blaster, mask off appropriately same as with paint.  If it's something your going to keep painted anyway, it won't hurt.  As long as you use readily available colors, it's a simple matter to touch up, or re-do it when necessary.   

• Thanks 1

I’ve used Testors, and OneShot (pin-striping paint), with equally good results. Prior to painting, tho’, I wipe the area with lacquer thinner (I just can’t get my head around sanding shiny chrome, but that’s just me . . .). Thx.

On the hubcaps and some minor details of my Packard, I used marker with oil paint. Something like that: http://www.sharpie.com/markers/art/oil-based-paint/SHOilBasedPaint.html

but probably made by different company. I bought it in local stationery shop. By now, it's 8 years since painting, and still looks great. I used to "flood" the place which I wanted to paint, and then distributed the enamel with toothpick. Excessive paint was removed with acetone-soaked cloth when paint was "semi-dry". Also, after it completly dried, polished it with compound, to remove some minor paint spots.

But, I wonder how was it painted in mass production. Any ideas? I doubt that there was a room with one hundred ladies with brushes...

DSC08973.jpg100_3835.jpg        t Testors also makes a felt tip paint pen which I have used on certain occasions......its pretty handy.  I have a

rag with some paint thinner handy to clean off any excesses.  

Edited by BobT-47P15
  • Thanks 1

1 Shot Sign Painters paint (what the pros use)  is available in many colors from many different vendors. Very durable and thins as needed. A stripping brush will pull any long lines well. Small models brush for the other areas. Scuffing up the chrome is difficult but cleaning it well with thinner before painting will help the paint adhere. Should last a long time and occassional touch up is easy. Not as cheap as testors which will look good, just won't last as long before touch up.

Hey thanks for all the replies ! I just started the reassembly of the car after having it painted. Lots of chrome, stainless, glass, weather strip to install. So along with this comes buffing stainless, detailing various parts, cleaning hardware, replacing wear items, etc. I chose to pick some low hanging fruit and installed the tail lights to begin the process. Progress will be slow since I am still working and travel a lot - work on the car is mainly weekends. 

• 1 month later...

The Special De Luxe name plates on each side of the P15 - do those have the red accent paint as well?  My car had been painted twice, right over those chrome pieces.  I used a solvent to remove all of the built up paint, and on one of them I saw just a hint of red.  So wondering it it was originally accented that way.  If so, where did it stop?  (As in, were the edges of the letters painted as well?)