Hydro flooded town

bach4660

Went to Carpenter Lake in BC. Was a town of 800 in the 1930's,  then about 60 people late 1950s then the HydroElectric company dammed the river and flooded the valley, including the town. Now they are servicing the dam and released all the water.  Apparently Hdyro workers came in and removed some gas pumps and other items for relocation to a local museum, when we got there this is all that remains.

It doesn't look like anything but when you start walking around you can see the houses, streets, etc.

We found about 5 cars, now just skeletons, one had the glass of the door, the coiled regulator spring and the aluminum door handle, all other sheet metal was gone.

One of the photos is probably a mine car or rail car judging by the wheel, but the thing that had we thinking was only one of the cars had a motor/tranny. All the rest did not. They had differentials, one had the seat, frame rails etc.  Were the motors valuable? did the Hydro company remove the motors for environmental reasons? (this was the late 50's)?

minto.jpg

minto2.jpg

(Clue to the rest of the world - "Hydro" in Canadian refers to the electric utility.) 

"Hydro" comes from the earliest days of electrification, where hydroelectric plants at Niagara Falls have been generating electricity for the Niagara peninsula and western New York, and beyond, from the late 1800s.  The Niagara River provides water at some 150,000 gallons per second from Lakes Michigan, Superior, Huron and Erie, and the 170-foot drop at Niagara Falls provides tremendous energy to the water hitting the turbines.  

Hydroelectric power is developed elsdewhere in the world, wherever river elevations drop substantially, or where rivers can be dammed.  Same say that the rivers are damned, but that's another discussion that may be beyond the bounds of this forum.  

There are a lot of damned (damed) rivers around here... 

I believe I was in high school when they drained the Flambeau Flowage to do work on the dam near my home town. I remember taking a drive up there with my Dad to have a look around. It was still too muddy to venture out very far, but you could see the remnants of barn and house foundations, and what was left of some roads. My Dad remembered riding the school bus down some of those roads, and could remember the names of the people that lived along it. Of course they were bought out and relocated when the dam was built. 

On July 7, 2018 at 11:14 AM, bach4660 said:

Went to Carpenter Lake in BC...

Thanks for posting this — very timely, as we expect to be speedstering through the area in late August on our way to Oregon and it will be an interesting stop.

Can you tell me whereabouts the artifacts are based on the map below?  Thanks.

24T Spokane trip Sept11.jpg

Carpenter Lake.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Carpenter Lake is in my 'hood! Been there many times. It is a beautiful spot. One of BC's best. If anyone goes there be sure to go to Bralorne to the old mine museum. Go find the old mine and what is left of the mill. It's fun to rummage around. There are a few 30's/40's cars there shot up full of lead and left for dead. One of my favourite areas of BC out there. Enjoy.

https://www.slrd.bc.ca/recreation-culture/heritage-museums/museums/bralorne-museum

https://www.travel-british-columbia.com/cariboo-chilcotin/chilcotin/gold-bridge/

Looking at the pics above it appears that the car scrap shown is near the west end of the lake bed. Where "Gold Bridge" is labeled on the map. You can stop for ice creme in Gold Bridge too on your way to Bralorne. @bamfordsgarage will you be in that 1924 speedster? Gold Bridge is mostly a dead end road and you go back out to Lillooet to get back to civilization and pavement. There is a logging road called the "Hurley Pass" that takes you from Gold Bridge to Pemberton Meadows, a community also shown on the above map.  Then you are on pavement again on Hw99, to Whistler. Hurley Pass takes you through a beautiful forest valley. Its quite rugged and remote. I am not sure I would attempt it alone in a modern car, let alone your 1924. I have done it a few times on an Enduro Motorbike. I would consider driving  it in a truck, but not sure I'd drive it alone in your car. I am sure it can be done if you are into an adventure, are self sufficient and into possible hard labour. If you want more details we may be able to help. - K

Edited by keithb7

Thanks Keith, that's very helpful. Yes, we'll be in the Speedster -- we are drawn to bad roads like flies to an outhouse. 

These photos are from last Labour Day weekend when we did 600+ miles of gravel from Whitecourt to the Crowsnest (eastern slopes of the Rockies)

IMG_5683.JPG

IMG_5811.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@bamfordsgarageThis is wonderful. Then surely you will take the Hurley Pass! Low gears and good breaks are required though. Especially as you drop back down into Pemberton Meadows. If you look at Google Earth and find Bralorne and Goldbridge you can see the valley and the Hurley Pass road.  It runs aside Mount Dix, Grouty Peak and Face Mtn. Follow the valley SW and end up in Pemberton Meadows. If you fall in love and swing back home through the area again, be sure to research what locals call the "Power Line Road" from D'arcy to Seton Portage. This is another breath taking pass that is not for the faint of heart. You guys look and sound like you are up for it. After Seton Portage you wind back up the mountain to end up at the east end of Carpenter Lake again.

Here is a good layout of the Powerline Road I mentioned, and the surroundings. The road is along the left side of Anderson lake in this image. Compliments of Google Earth. Let us know if you make it. You'll be passing through Kamloops. Let me know when. Perhaps we can have a Tim's and I can check out your Speedster! - K

6FzschRnzFyxvGox-UW4xmUPECbUX8MLpXQ6Gz2B

Here is a view of the Hurley Pass road as you leave Gold Bridge, heading toward Pemberton Meadows:

I8KHKR-krfNPlWDweHn-M0eINlh8hDL4Rr5FgFVP

• Like 1

Thanks Keith for the additional info and photos. Gold Bridge/Bralorne and the Hurley Pass sounds like a great diversion on our way south. We should be good for the grades — added hydraulic front brakes three years ago and a period auxiliary 3-speed under/overdrive transmission in 2016. The underdrive is big at 50% so up or down the steep ones is no problem and 25% overdrive enables comfortable 50 mph cruising.

We'll be in touch about getting together for coffee in Kamloops, probably Wed Aug 29 on our way to Lillooet for the night. Thursday night in somewhere in Washington state then Friday in Wilsonville, Oregon — we  do about 300-350 miles/day. This trip will be a big loop, likely returning via Montana.

Please send me a PM with your contact info for next month. Thanks.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2018 at 10:16 PM, keithb7 said:

Looking at the pics above it appears that the car scrap shown is near the west end of the lake bed. Where "Gold Bridge" is labeled on the map.

exactly under the "B" on the map. Set up the tent on the edge, great spot for the night

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Late update, but we made it to and through the area August 30. A very enjoyable drive although too much washboard on the Hurley Pass for my liking. Sadly, the Bralorne Museum was closed the day we were there. Photos below are on the road to Minto, that once-flooded community where we were besieged by three families worth of adolescents, on the Hurley south to Pemberton, and after dark into Vancover. No car trouble to speak of, although we did char the floorboards near the exhaust manifold on a couple long hard climbs.

Only regret was planned meetups with Keithb7 in Kamloops and bach4660 in Surrey both fell through — because we were too early for Keith and too late for Bach.

D3 Logging truck.jpg

D3 Look down to Bridge river.jpg

D3 Carpenter Lake2.jpg

D3 Minto Kids a-running.jpg

D3 Minto Kids car.jpg

D3 Oh Deer!.jpg

D3 Minto car remains.jpg

D3 Minto Car remains2.jpg

D3 Gold Bidge gal and dog.jpg

D3 Gun Lake.jpg

D3 Lunchtime.jpg

D3 Switchback downhill.jpg

D3 Night driving Hwy 99.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hooray! You made it through the pass. Some great scenery around the Lillooet area. Congrats. Thanks for sharing the phots.  I still can’t believe you travel like this. You guys are rugged!

Edited by keithb7

17 hours ago, 55 Fargo said:

...Need to see a pic of Saskquatch standing by the car...lol

Sorry, the rascal disappeared into the woods before I could get a clear shot. Despite their size they are shy buggers.

This is the only Sasquatch photo I have...

2 Tuk Sasquatch crossing.jpg

sasquatch days are far gone...it seems that they discover the fact trimming their toenails would make their feet print small and they now blend in very well in society.  Until one stops at my house selling magazine subscriptions to put his boy through college...or one is mounted over an avid hunters fireplace...I will say that they are a product of the booze usually carried by hunter and campers when out and about in the woods.  There is no way that one would not have been bagged and stuffed by now especially in the US or Canada.   

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

sasquatch days are far gone...it seems that they discover the fact trimming their toenails would make their feet print small and they now blend in very well in society.  Until one stops at my house selling magazine subscriptions to put his boy through college...or one is mounted over an avid hunters fireplace...I will say that they are a product of the booze usually carried by hunter and campers when out and about in the woods.  There is no way that one would not have been bagged and stuffed by now especially in the US or Canada.   

So you trimmed your " toe nails" and have assimilated into society to build cars instead of being a scary legend?

I agree on the findings if remains or of any bei g captured or killed.

Certainly no shortage of stories or sightings in No Cal, Oregon, Washington, and BC.

Even Manitoba has had sitings.

I will say this though huge tracts of heavily forested lands up here could hide remains of any species from discovery indefinitely...