I'm Hearing Something New...A Bearing Howling?

keithb7

I have been saving axle shims for years and have a good assortment. Also I live in BC   send me a PM if you get stuck  but first, there is a reasonable chance if you reinstall the shims  as they were, it will come out right,

The modern new bearings seem to always require a different shim stack for me... I've done three cars in the last year.

Never use commie parts!

• Like 1

So if a person was so inclined to re-seal the diff carrier to banjo housing, I suppose now would be the time to do it. 

Am I right in thinking that:

Wheels off. Pull drums. Remove brakes and backing plate. Slide axles out. Then drive shaft is disconnected. Drain diff oil. Unbolt circle of bolts that mounts diff carrier in place. Lift out diff carrier assy and then install new gasket? Then reassemble everything. Set up brakes and bleed.

Its a fairly lengthy list of work to get to that gasket if I’m correct. I’m ¾ of the way there now I figure. 

Now is the time!

If I do decide to pull the diff, what does it weigh? Laying under the car jacked up could pose handling problems. I have some decent jacks but nut sure they can cradle the carrier housing. 

Any idea on the weight? Tips on handling it at home, car jacked up in the garage? Thanks.

I don't know the exact weight of the carrier but I am sure it is on the heavy side. I would try to use a small hydraulic floor jack to lower and raise it. I have removed and replaced automatic transmissions this way by placing a board on top of the lifting saddle of the jack to balance the piece. It is easier if you have an assistant to operate the jack while you steady the piece but I have done it myself too. Be careful and good luck.

John R

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

New Made in the USA Timken bearngs and seals finally arrived. Bearings are now installed on the axles. I rounded up a piece of round stock to use as a seal installer. My plan is tomorrow I will be pushing all this back together.  Hopefully, fingers crossed I will be cruising by that evening.

ujm5b4pGl0jrs9R2uotEtjdbglol20wRfvUqRriz

Shimming has been a learning experience. Using the same shims I removed, I  get about .010 end play. On each axle. Too much.  Spec is 3-8 thou. I read that I am to remove equal amounts of shim stock on each side of the axle. The smallest shims I have are .005 each. So I remove one each from each side.

Upon re-assembly I get zero clearance. Makes sense as the math adds up. I have no more shims. Am I ok to finish up the install at 0.000 clearance, then once everything settles in place, I'll likely gain a couple thou clearance? I could re-check it in a week or so, see how things settle in?

Keith

Edited by keithb7

You will be ok to remove a .005" from one side.

If you had .025" on one side and .010" on the other I would try to balance them a little closer.

Bolt the backing plates on ..give a firm dead blow wack at each end of the axles to seat the outer bearing race on the opposite side axle .

This to be sure the outer bearing races are pushed tight against the backing plates before you check for accurate end play.

Did as you suggested @Dodgeb4ya. Re-measured. Still zero clearance. Added back in a .005 shim on one side only. Tightened up and gave the axles another rap with a hammer. Now I have about .0025 to .003 end play thou on each axle. Seems like I am there. Reassembling the rest now. Thanks again.