Lobster

pflaming

We have one lobster dinner each time we come to Maine. We buy it from a lobsterman fron that days catch. To me it is overrated, I prefer oysters, shrimp, and east coast haddock over lobster and an Omaha corn fed steak over them all, but that is just me. 

IMG_4097.JPG

You find out interesting things when you're "from away" here in Maine.  Lobster was considered trash-fish around the turn of the last century.  It was fed to prison populations because it was cheap and plentiful.  The prisoners had an uprising because they thought they were being fed too much of it, and the prison system agreed that it was kind of cruel and imposed limitations on how much lobster to feed the prison populations.  Now they never serve it in the prisons.  You wouldn't think that, as popular as lobster is nowadays.  Mainers know that, and it's cool that they don't care.  It's more a matter of pride that someone can go to the market Saturday morning and get some for 3 or 4 bucks a pound.  I know folks that will eat 3 or 4 of the sea-bugs a sitting when they can - because they can.  I can only deal with one, and then only a couple times a year.  That's a good looking spread, there.  Giving me a hankering for one of those times pretty soon.       

I like a variety of seafood, we have a local restaurant that is supposed to be the best ever....rather chew on a soiled tennis shoe...this is the one the most folks like around here as it is pure southern style....southern style is nothing but hot grease and salt...no other flavor is needed nor found.

We have another restaurant that has a seafood feast every Friday, many folks run it down but it is more close to real seafood taste as in you actually taste the food.   Their oysters are great, as is all the other stuff, sometimes the stuffed crab could be cooked a tad longer, last time they were excellent.  For the money...this one is best and I also need to add, this is an all you can eat buffet...

Dan,

Finally someone who knows something about lobster. I used to work for a fisherman's co-op out of Chatham on Cape Cod. As I remember we had 100+ boats going out for all kinds of seafood. The pay was crap but we could take anything home for dinner we wanted. We used to cut our own swordfish steaks and throw them on the grill. The lobstermen would eat lobster only a couple of times per  year as it is so rich and distinctive. They usually had it stuffed and baked. I used to know how to hypnotize lobsters (it's a dying art). And don't get me started about the tourists who think the tail is the best part...

Pete

Pete, for me, the pieces in the claws are the best, even at that I prefer haddock, shrimp, and oysters over lobster. I eat it once each vacation to Maine, as a matter of rite. 

Pete- true that.  We go to a lobster boil hosted by a local couple every year, where one of their friends, a lobsterman, supplies the lobster - he doesn't touch a one of them.  It's still fun to watch someone raised on lobster (good, bad, or indifferent) destroy one, with butter and lobster guts dripping off their moustache, chin, and elbows.  I tried the tomalley part once so I can say I did...I think that's a matter of pride, too (calling it the best part, that is).  Glad I got that out of the way...