1950 Fuel Pump

My 1950 Chrysler Windsor will not start after running for a while and it seems to be a fuel issue. Could it be vapor lock or a bad fuel pump? Explanation of problem is below. FYI carb was professionally rebuilt last fall, so I don't think that is an issue. Problem didn't happen immediately following carb rebuild.

There is an inline fuel filter just prior to the carburetor and it looks like when you shut off the car, the fuel drains out of it...doesn't leak out of the car though, I assume it goes back to the tank...?...When trying to start the car, the gas doesn't even get to the inline fuel filter.     

Yesterday, I drove it about 20 minutes and when I stopped at a gas station, the car wouldn't start after I shut it off. It seems like the fuel doesn't get to the carb (while my wife was turning over the engine, I was watching to see if the gas was getting to the inline fuel filter which is located just before the carb). On a side note, I took off the oil bath air cleaner cover and I put some gas in the carb. I don't know if it was a coincidence, or maybe the car cooled down enough, but when I had my wife turn the car over, it then looked like fuel was getting pumped through the fuel line into the filter. Unfortunately my 6V battery was too weak to start the car.

Do I need to replace the fuel pump? I looked at pumps online, and they don't look like the one that is on the car. The one on my car does not have the glass bowl on it.....Does anybody have a picture of what the correct fuel pump looks like?

Please help!   Thanks, Jeff

Is there raw fuel at the base of the carburetor?  The fuel pump should have a check ball that maintains fuel in the line between the carb and pump.  You may also be percolating fuel from float bowl when the car is hot.  What process do you use when you try to do a hot start?

If the base of the carb has raw fuel on it or on the manifold, the you likely have a flooded condition.  The last thing you want to do is pump the gas, squirting more raw fuel into the intake.  Next time, slowly push the gas pedal to wide open, the hold it there. Then engage the starter If it starts and blows out black smoke or very gassey smelling exhaust, the percolation diagnosis can be assumed.  So contrary to having to little fuel, you have to much.  Check the inlet needle and seat valve and while you are in there lower the float level one or two 32nds.  This will give you a bit more expansion room before the gas overflows under high heat conditions.

Also give your oil a sniff, if it smells of gas, change it.

Edited by greg g

Thank you Greg G for the insight on the possibility of a flooding issue. Could there be a chance there are two things that could be wrong?  How do I remedy the issue of the fuel draining from the carb once I shut off the car?  I can see the gas draining from the carb ( by watching it on the clear inline filter that is only 4 inches from the carb). When I have my wife start the car, (after I shut if off for a couple minutes after I've been driving it a while) I don't see any gas getting to the filter. I don't know what makes it work again, but after a while it will then start spurting gas into the filter, then reaches the carb....I just don't get it. Could there be two issues?   Could that check ball you mentioned not be working?

if your fuel line to carb runs very close to the exhaust manifold this can heat gas in the line and possibly cause your problem. i moved the line on my car a way from the manifold and that helps, but these cars are known for this problem . some have added an electric pump to eliminate this problem.     capt den