1962 Dodge Polora D-500 Seen on PBS Series "Endeavour"

knuckleharley

Just watched an episode of Edeavour  on PBS. It is a series based around a couple of Scotland Yard Detectives in England in the 1960. The younger brother of the older detective shows up for a visit driving it,and it and this 2 door hardtop is freaking immaculate right down to the "foot deep" black paint and the period English license tags.

I always thought these things were uglier than homemade sin when I was younger,but damned if I wasn't admiring it's beauty.

I also remember wondering how something that big and heavy that has the aerodynamics of a brick could be so damn fast. 

Someone in "Old Blighty" owns a VERY nicely restored 62 Polarara D-500 2DR HT!

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 1

like you, KH I have improved with age ( there is more of me too) and as for the early 60s cars, cataracts make them look a lot better.

3 minutes ago, dpollo said:

like you, KH I have improved with age ( there is more of me too) and as for the early 60s cars, cataracts make them look a lot better.

Even back then the Max Wedge 413 make them look good. Ever hear one of those things idling through the pits with open headers after a run? They hit so hard you can almost FEEL the combustion in each cylinder as it idles by.

• Like 1

Knuckle.........lol........you saw that episode too!...............actually its set in Oxford and is the local constabulary, which as far as I know is a different brand to the London based Scotland Yard..........but yep my wife hates it when were are watching some movie or TV show and I wake from my stuper with...."thats wrong as its a 1965 blah blah and the movies set in 1964"..........but yep it was a nice clean Polara 2dr hardtop and seemed to be unupdated or modified........btw two good movies to see older cars are The Shape of Water and Hidden Figures, both are good movies in there own right but more importantly have lots of 50's and 60's cars............regards, andyd   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Andydodge said:

Knuckle.........lol........you saw that episode too!...............actually its set in Oxford and is the local constabulary, which as far as I know is a different brand to the London based Scotland Yard..........but yep my wife hates it when were are watching some movie or TV show and I wake from my stuper with...."thats wrong as its a 1965 blah blah and the movies set in 1964"..........but yep it was a nice clean Polara 2dr hardtop and seemed to be unupdated or modified........btw two good movies to see older cars are The Shape of Water and Hidden Figures, both are good movies in there own right but more importantly have lots of 50's and 60's cars............regards, andyd   

I never did get the cops in England straight. I do love pretty much everything in the Masterpiece series,though. The British tend to take their acting seriously,and it shows.

The first brand new car I was ever smitten with was a red '62 Polara 500 two door hardtop that was parked out in front of the local Dodge dealer (Funke & Hawley's - "Dodge Since 1918", it was the oldest family owned Dodge dealer in the US until they sold around 2006).

I was eight years old and loved the '62's ever since.  I'm also fond of Lancers - those are two nice cars!