renovating window channels and rubbers

bluefoxamazone

hello team,

can someone tell me what there is to know about replacing window rubbers and channels. How are they mounted/attached in the doors? Where to look for? Glue? suppliers of the right stuff for a plymouth cranbrook conv. '53

Thanks (again)

Franky

Blue....have you checked any of the suppliers such as Bernbaums, Roberts and Steele(be careful dealing with those bastards,Steele)..........how bad are the window rubbers etc in the car now?...........are they suitable to see how they attach, etc?...........generally speaking they would use special fasteners or clips of some sort but I know when I did the bailey channel in my Dodge yrs ago such things were not available here in Oz so I just used pop rivets to hold the channel to the mounting points inside the doors and also pop rivets to hold the sweepers or fuzzys that the Yanks call them to the top of the door/window opening...........then put a dob of black paint on the pop rivet to hide it in the fuzzy.............I'm unfamilar with 1953 Plymouth stuff, especially a convertible but I'd be VERY surprised if any sort of glue would be used to hold the bailey channel to the door...........anyway I'd be checking some of the suppliers, get the paper catalogs they have and see what they offer............Andy Douglas    

Edited by Andydodge

You might consider checking with Wichita Trimming in Wichita, Kansas. They have a vast array of bulk rubber, and may be able to provide you with some samples so you can determine if a particular profile would work for you. Steele, Danchuck, and Mac, have similar programs.

I grew up in Wichita, and found them to be incredibly helpful when I put a new seal on our ’46 Plymouth Club Coupe, using bulk-profile rolls of material.

Blue.....I just checked both the Bernbaums and Steele paper catalogs and both have various listings for the door window channels and door weatherstriping that goes around the door to seal the openings.........whilst I think both have websites that should have the listings I'd step up and buy their paper catalogs as you'd be amazed at just what they have and gazing thru the catalogs will make those times spent on the throne when you have eaten too much of that Belgium chocolate a little easier............lol............regards, andyd.   

• Haha 1

Andy,

When I contacted Steele a couple of years ago, the guy on the telephone said they don’t print their original large catalogue (the one that covered everything they offered . . .) anymore due to the high cost. Now, they only provide an abridged version for the car specified. I had one, but I tossed it as it was in pretty ratty shape—I tho’t I’d be able to get another one—WRONG!!! Now I’ve got their “catalogue-ette” for the P15. So, if you’ve got one of the original large all-encompassing catalogues, you’d better hang onto it, as it’s like most of us, and the cars—an antique. Warmest regards to you . . .

Doc, yep thats the one I have, its a 2012 issue, have Bernbaums, Roberts, Metro Molded, Resto Specialties, plus a few others and various Oz cattledogs...........me, an antique?............nah, I just smell old & musky...........lol............regards, andyd  

• Haha 1

off course I have checked catalogues and websites but, to be honest my first goal is to find out if these trimmings are special for the plymouths or more or less "standard". If I can find a source here in Europe, that would be much cheaper for me. If it is special for mopar, I will have no chance of finding this here and that is where the above mentioned companies come in sight...

Back in the 80's, the generic stuff was the only option for us MoPar guys, and that is what I was planning to do on mine, except that the whole project got "put on the back burner" for 35+ years.  You just might have to get inventive as to how you can fasten it into place.  If the original clips are still in good shape, you can put those onto the generic window channel, or cut out some new ones.  That generic stuff (as I recall, now all of these years later) is flexible in order to conform to the curves, so it is more difficult to get it to stay in place properly.  (My memory on this is a bit cloudy, so that's why I didn't respond earlier.)

the fuzzy strips are manufactured in flexible and ridged based on the particular application...you will need to order like kind as to that you are replacing.  The older cars pretty much are serviced by a cut and dry list of these parts.  What you need is out there, what you need to do is use the proper aftermarket clips to secure it.  Mopar use integral clip on some pieces and they do not remove and transfer.  I recommend clips, not glue but that is each individual's call.  Anyway all retailers get their fuzzy strips from the same supplier....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams